fatal accident subsonex N465JC

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

fatal accident subsonex N465JC

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun May 23, 2021 7:04 pm

hi all,
sad to see this. a couple inside sources filling me in as the day goes on. happened about 3 hrs ago.
allegedly a subsonex N465JC crashed into cross lake just northwest of shreveport La.
registered now to a LLC. a local based sonex pilot said he knew the pilot and confirmed this story.
his hangar is a few doors down. two names listed on LLC . fred phillips and stephan paine.
reported on http://www.kathrynsreport.com today. no n number as of yet, but 2 sources have confirm this info is in fact correct.
a sad day. lets tip our hat to the pilot.

WaiexN143NM

added: you can go to flightaware.com
put in n number
track stops in lake.

RIP.
added: kathrynsreport now listing the n number.
30 officials on scene, divers sent to lake.
Last edited by WaiexN143NM on Mon May 24, 2021 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaiexN143NM

Re: fatal accident subsonex N465JC

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Blue skies and tailwinds….hate hearing about these…
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon May 24, 2021 11:50 am

Hi all,
The media and coroner reporting the pilot as Mr fred phillips.
if you google this accident many media reports.
the flightaware track on the graph that shows just alt and speed, has a spike near the end gaining alt and speed drops
off. then alt decreases and speed increases. apparently right in front of his home on the lake.
will wait to see what the ntsb prelim report says.
Mr phillips reported to be an oil heir, who survived a gas explosion in his home in Co. last year, suffering severe burns.

may he rest in peace.

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby Fastcapy » Mon May 24, 2021 12:23 pm

I saw one witness report from a pilot with jet experience who was out there fishing say he was low, buzzing his house on the lake and it appeared he may have ingested a bird and had a flameout.

There were also reports of witnesses seeing a parachute deployed on the surface of the lake.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Scott Todd » Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 pm

He flew to the west side of that lake a few times before (Flight Aware). According to online records, he lived at 3033 or 3037 Risinger. This is about where he went down but his flight track doesn't show him maneuvering in this area on any of his previous flights or his last. Flight Aware stops just after he started his last descent so its hard to deduce anything from it. Pictures of the recovered airplane show it hit pretty hard. He was 73 so a medical issue is not unrealistic. He was fairly low so neither is a distraction or engine problem. This flight appears to also be the lowest he had flown over the lake in recent flights. It was a nice airplane and he seems to be a well respected person. I don't want to think anything like 'Buzzing" would have contributed but its hard to say. It is sad and quite a loss to the aviation community and his family.
Scott Todd

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon May 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi all,
Updated kathrynsreport . if someone could post a direct link would be great. im always just on my ipad.
thanks and fly safe out there. As always i hope we all learn from this.
Condolences to Mr. phillips family.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby kmacht » Mon May 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Fastcapy wrote:I saw one witness report from a pilot with jet experience who was out there fishing say he was low, buzzing his house on the lake and it appeared he may have ingested a bird and had a flameout.

There were also reports of witnesses seeing a parachute deployed on the surface of the lake.

I would not put too much stock in what witness reports say in a newspaper article or from a local TV station news report. Having been a first hand witness to an accident a number of years ago I can tell you that alot of what the papers wrote about it was just pure conjecture and in some cases they were just outright wrong in their "facts". What one person considers low and buzzing is another person's normal 1000 foot traffic pattern. What another person considers "doing aerobatics" could be just a steep turn around a point. The normal public has no idea how small planes work or what is normal or not normal and the news reporters are just looking for a sensational story to get headlines for a day or two and then hope that it will be forgotten about when real facts start to surface. Unless you or someone you know was there and saw it in person I wouldn't believe anything that is written in the newspapers the day after an aviation accident.
kmacht

Postby lakespookie » Mon May 24, 2021 4:08 pm

Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Fastcapy » Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 pm

kmacht wrote:
Fastcapy wrote:I saw one witness report from a pilot with jet experience who was out there fishing say he was low, buzzing his house on the lake and it appeared he may have ingested a bird and had a flameout.

I would not put too much stock in what witness reports say in a newspaper article or from a local TV station news report. Having been a first hand witness to an accident a number of years ago I can tell you that alot of what the papers wrote about it was just pure conjecture and in some cases they were just outright wrong in their "facts". What one person considers low and buzzing is another person's normal 1000 foot traffic pattern. What another person considers "doing aerobatics" could be just a steep turn around a point. The normal public has no idea how small planes work or what is normal or not normal and the news reporters are just looking for a sensational story to get headlines for a day or two and then hope that it will be forgotten about when real facts start to surface. Unless you or someone you know was there and saw it in person I wouldn't believe anything that is written in the newspapers the day after an aviation accident.

Ads-B data pretty much verifies he was making steep, tight turns 250ft at 200mph.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Scott Todd » Tue May 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Where do you see that? Flight Aware shows him make a right 90, and then two left turns at around 160 mph around 400 feet, and then straight for about 3 miles before he went down.
Scott Todd

Return to General Discussion