Getting ready

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Getting ready

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:08 pm

Welcome to the gang! Where are you located, G?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:33 am

Waiex B is the kit! I am located in West Tawakoni TX.
Really looking forward to the project.
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:34 pm

My tail kit ships Friday! Man am I looking forward to this..

Gmoney

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 am

Debured and cleco’d together. I need to make a couple bends this weekend and see if I can’t get them knocked out.
G

Gmoney

Postby lakespookie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:06 pm

Make sure you double check the bend direction, i was a little unclear and ended up bending one of the horns in the wrong direction and had to replace the horn because it is a structural element did not want to risk losing a tail.

there is also an AN bolt hole that you will need a diffrent drill bit from the standard bits for rivetting as the AN bolt is a hair thicker than any of the standard bits and it will be way to tight otherwise. I guess you could wobble the bit to widen the hole but i would suggest just getting the one off bit they are not that expensive and easily available at a hardware store.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby lakespookie » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:11 pm

Also maybe ask for some suggestions on how to do the ruddervator tips i ended up just doing the best i could to make it match but i am not 100% happy with how they turned out they are not unsafe but i felt like a better system or approach has to exsist for how to cut/line those guys up its kind of hard to measure and match them since its a curved surface and i dont 100% think they are exactly the same. i am sure they come out of some mold but they are a composite part that is subject to some variablility. Other than that its pretty straight forward of a build. It will go way quicker than you think and the wings/fueselage are at about an 8 to 10 week lead time so i would start looking into putting that order in sooner rather than later unless you want to sit around waiting on the next kit. But that really depends on how quick you build the tails went together much faster than I expected. I think I got them done in under 80-100 hours total. also for the tips a dremel is gold, and for the bend you can use thick wall tubing or an impact socket in the about 7/8th to 1inch range should get you the right radi.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 pm

lakespookie wrote:I guess you could wobble the bit to widen the hole but i would suggest just getting the one off bit they are not that expensive and easily available at a hardware store.

In general it's a bad practice on aircraft to wobble drill bits for clearance. For structural bolts you want round snug fit holes.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lakespookie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:18 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
lakespookie wrote:I guess you could wobble the bit to widen the hole but i would suggest just getting the one off bit they are not that expensive and easily available at a hardware store.

In general it's a bad practice on aircraft to wobble drill bits for clearance. For structural bolts you want round snug fit holes.

you sir are not wrong, And i purchsed larger bits for my aircraft. I dont recall if its structural or not at this point this was a year ago just something that i thought of as being a challenge.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 am

Even better os to get the correct reamer for each bolt size. I have one that is the exact correct size for the rivets, and one each for an3, an4, and an6. The bolts have a very very slight range of size, so for the important seeming ones i try a few bolts and find one thats tight.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Thank you all for the hints and tips. Had family drop in for the long weekend. I have three 1” impacts on the ready for the bends.
I can already tell you I need to order my next sub kit. I am going to get the fuse kit next.
The fiberglass tips. I will install initially but if the wait is long for my next kit I plan on making some carbon ones. At a first glance they look simple enough to make a set of plugs.
Thanks again. More pics on progress next weekend.
G$

Gmoney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion