Question about inspections prior to first flight

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Question about inspections prior to first flight

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:35 am

Recently, a nearby hangar tenant at my home base began telling everyone who would listen that in order to get your experimental signed off by the FSDO or DAR, an A&P had to sign off on it first.

I’m convinced the man is confusing technical counselor inspections with what is required to pass the inspection.

This conversation has freaked out a few people working on projects and caused one technical counselor who is an A&P/IA to state he is going to stop doing technical counselor visits so he doesn’t have to be held liable for signing off a project.

Is anyone aware a change to policy or regulations regarding this? I have looked and didn’t see anything. I’m going to call EAA and see if they have an answer.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Question about inspections prior to first flight

Postby bvolcko38 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 am

Your hangar tenant is mistaken. The builder does the sign off along with the FAA or the DAR
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:46 am

Your hangar tenant needs some education. FAA documentation regarding certification of amateur-built aircraft specifically states that an A&P sign-off is NOT required, and that the owner makes the log entry to verify condition for safe operation. Tell your tenant that he should read FAA Order 8130.2J. This is the document that we follow when we issue airworthiness certificates. The requirements are in there.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby n502pd » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 am

Absolutely correct! Further, my 2 cents as a new tech counselor, is counseling is meant to be just another set of experienced eyes looking at progress, giving suggested advice, and most importantly, not requiring anything to be done for any inspection. Its just advice, and, IMHO, the builder is responsible for how it is finished. Advice is always free, and dosent have to be followed.
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks. And I confirmed with EAA this morning.

Now to re-educate a bunch of people who listened to this guy....
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:17 pm

The Tech Counselor visits really came into being about 20 years ago when insurance companies gave a discount if they were used. I first flew my new Kitfox in 98 and I got insured for the first flight because I had 3 Technical Counselor 'sign offs' and a Flight Advisor. I have since become both and often look at new homebuilt projects. Its just always good to have an extra set of eyes.

I ALWAYS advise new builders to put a few clipboards around their airplane in the weeks leading up to the first flight and don't be afraid to leave it alone. Then all the local airport bums can come look it over and write stuff down anonymously. I have seen some pretty good stuff caught that many inspections missed.

I work as hard as I can to make sure first flights are as boring as possible ;) The 12 or so I have done have all been just the way I like them :)
Scott Todd

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Scott Todd wrote:The Tech Counselor visits really came into being about 20 years ago when insurance companies gave a discount if they were used.

Tech Counselors go back a lot farther than that! I wrote an article about this topic for EAA Sport Aviation, so you can check it out in the Feb 2020 issue. In short, the program started in the early '60s, and was called the "Designee" program. The name was changed to "Tech Counselor" in the mid-80s to avoid confusion with the then-new FAA designee programs (such as DARs and DPEs, etc.). The programs weren't put in place to get insurance discounts, although such discounts were available for a time when AVEMCO was allied with EAA. Unfortunately, the discounts are no longer available. But the TC program certainly is and is immensely valuable. I encourage everyone to take advantage of their local Tech Counselors. Another set of eyes is always a good idea.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:01 pm

Good stuff Joe. I knew they went back further but rushed my response and wasn't very clear. When I got insured for my Kitfox first flight in 1998, the insurance company said the 3+1 visits to insure the first flight was new then. Its been insured since.
Scott Todd

Return to General Discussion