Getting ready

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58 am

I have decided to purchase a tail kit. Local builder has offered to let me look over his build and review his plans before I take the plunge. Any words of advice? I plan to take a ton of photos of the plane.
Thanks
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Re: Getting ready

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:58 pm

Enjoy the journey!!

If you’re going to look over his airplane and plans, have him explain how the plans work and how you read measurements. They’re easy to understand and well done but at first glance some people don’t understand the logic. Not much to it! If they have the time and offer, a quick demo on drilling, debuting and riveting will help you.

Trust me if I can build one of these, anyone can. Enjoy the journey and congratulations!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Rynoth » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:02 pm

What Mike said is spot-on. When I visited the factory for their seminar on building a Sonex (that is where I made my decision to proceed with purchasing my build), it was that process they taught of cutting, filing, drilling, deburring, and riveting a sample part that made me realize I could really and truly do it myself. That sample piece is still a prominent fixture in my living room.

Have him show you his band saw/cutting tools, his scotchbrite wheel/sanding/filing method, his drilling/deburring methods, and his riveting methods.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby lakespookie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Going over his tool selection and some of the other items not listed in the tool list are helpful like the power tools and ancillary stuff like organizational tools etc. I also recommend a respirator when deburing when using the grinding bench and also the bending tools and how to make the few number of bends you have to make in the kit they are not many but are not well documented as far as process as opposed to resulting peice.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:00 am

I purchased the tools on the list before I started...and haven't found a way to stop buying more tools in the 3 years I've been at it. I have purchased so many tools in fact that I may have no choice but to build another airplane once the Sonex is complete. You'll figure out what you need as you go but it can be frustrating (for me anyway) to get to a step only to realize you need to stop...go online...and order another tool.

Good luck

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:30 am

I believe it may have been Bryan Cotton who said (I’m paraphrasing) “buying tools is the point of the hobby.”

Glad you took the plunge! Have fun!

Many of my tools are now used by EAA 461 so other members may enjoy them.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:52 pm

Thank you all for the advice! I have a small amount of experience. And tools are NOT a problem, been hands on project guy my whole life. I’ll be talking to Sonex very soon. No time like now to give it a go. A motor project I got to help out with a couple years ago. Heavily modified Vans baffling kit.
G

Gmoney

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:40 am

Well, payment was processed yesterday. 4-6 weeks and the tail kit arrives. Really looking forward to the project.
G

Gmoney

Getting ready

Postby Gmoney » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Plans arrived today! Tail kit should be coming very soon. Almost have enough funds to order fuse kit..
G

Gmoney

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:06 pm

It's exciting :) What tail kit did you order?
Scott Todd

Next

Return to General Discussion