Sight Gauge and Other stuff

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Sight Gauge and Other stuff

Postby planeolbob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:53 am

Hi Everyone,
It has been awhile since I last posted to the site and a lot has happened. I am now at Gardner Airport (K34) in hangar F6.

I have had some issues with the aircraft but most of them have been resolved.

I had a bad mag that I needed to replace and on that system the engine is running fine. On the electronic side I still have a miss at high rpm after the engine is warmed up. When I first start the engine and at mag check everything is sweet. After about 15 minutes the electronic side has a miss. What do you folks think can be the problem? After I land and at idle the electronic side is fine again. ??

I replaced my fuel sender as the old one was leaking. After 6 months trying to get it to program into my Stratomaster I gave up and installed a sight gauge. You can see my install here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/planeolbob/

Also, you can see what you can do with a rejected rib (Ha).

Every couple of years I check all my Flickr sites to see how many photos and views I have. There is a spread sheet with the update.

As I was reviewing my photos I was reminded of all the fun and adventures we have had since I became involved with the Sonex Family. For you new folks I started in July of 1999. No kits then!

That's all for now,

Bob Mika
N178KT
planeolbob

Re: Sight Gauge and Other stuff

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Glad all is well with you and Katie, Bob! Hopefully you’ll have her ready for a lot of flying in 2021!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Kai » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:27 am

Bob,

Good on the sight gauge- I went down the same path with Sonex A #0525: works like a charm! I see you made a small bracket to support the clear tube past the upright on the fuselage side, which is probably better than what I did- just drilling a 5/16’’ hole in the upright. However, so far after some 200 hrs no structural issues.

Still, depending on the attitude of the plane, this sight gauge could show whatever you would like to see. You need to establish a practical attitude and take the reading with the plane each time in this position. In order to make sure of this, I found the attitude of the plane at cruise speed, and fixed a small spirit level gauge (from a camper van) on the fuselage side with the bubble in the middle. The tail was then raised until the bubble was between the marks. The fuel tank was then filled with selected increments and the sight tube was marked accordingly. So now, every time the bubble in the level gauge is between its marks, I know that the fuel level in the sight tube will correspond with its marks (I have found that you need to let the system ‘settle’ for some seconds before the reading is taken).

Still, the nemesis of the system is the sight tube itself. Try as I might, I am not able to find a clear tube that will not discolor over time- that confounded alcohol in the fuel again! Consequently, after a couple of seasons, the tube will have to be replaced as it becomes difficuilt to see the fuel level in there. Should you have had success here, please inform!

Thanks
Kai
Sonex A #0525- SG, DS.
EdgePerfomance EP915ECI, 123HP
Kai

Postby onex28 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:51 pm

Has anyone with a sight gauge added dye/food coloring to the fuel tank to get a better contrast for the fuel level?

David W
onex28

Postby 509sx » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Kai, have you tried urethane tubing?
It supposedly holds up to petrochemicals well.
Art 509SX Corvex/Sonvair?? 2700 TD
509sx

Return to General Discussion