about that paperwork

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

about that paperwork

Postby Area 51% » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Trying to get a grip on the "paper" shuffle.

Our EAA registration package is more than 4 years old, so most of the FAA forms are outdated. No real tragedy, downloaded the current revisions. That package also seems to indicate that all forms are to be put in an envelope and sent to the proper authorities.

Have recently heard/read that the FAA no longer wants hard copies sent in, but instead want's it all to be submitted electronically. Placed a call to the FSDO last week, but have not heard back as yet.

We're ready to weigh the plane and submit the forms, but really unsure how.

Billy......which direction did you take?
Area 51%

Re: about that paperwork

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:16 pm

I sent in the registration form and affidavit form(notarized) to Oklahoma today. Oh and 5 bucks for the N number
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:45 am

Area 51% wrote:Our EAA registration package is more than 4 years old, so most of the FAA forms are outdated. No real tragedy, downloaded the current revisions. That package also seems to indicate that all forms are to be put in an envelope and sent to the proper authorities.

Have recently heard/read that the FAA no longer wants hard copies sent in, but instead want's it all to be submitted electronically. Placed a call to the FSDO last week, but have not heard back as yet.

The FAA now has an online system for submitting an airworthiness application. It's called "AWC" and is the typical FAA way to "simplify" things. (That was sarcastic, by the way). You will still need the paper forms, but you will have to scan them and upload them through the AWC system (except the 8130-6, which you will fill out through the AWC system itself).

I did a webinar on the new system which can be viewed at the following link:

https://www.eaa.org/videos/6160355187001

Watch it a couple of time and then let me know if you have any questions. You can reach me via email at jnorris@eaa.org, or by phone at 920-426-6145.

Good luck!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Rofomoto » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 am

Great help ....thanx billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Area 51% » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks Joe.
I was hoping "luck" wasn't going to play a part in this process.
Area 51%

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Area 51% wrote:Thanks Joe.
I was hoping "luck" wasn't going to play a part in this process.

If it's any consolation, the AWC system is just as much a PITA on the designee side as it is on the applicant side! :)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Area 51% » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:56 pm

OK...we're trying to send the "goods" to the FAA on line, but they are asking questions like; do you want a designee or ODA? What the heck is an ODA? Or designee for that matter. Then there are several DAR choices, like DARF or DART.

Thought we had that sorted out and it's now asking for the name of the DAR we want to use. Haven't researched any of those yet, so I hate to pick one that lives 2,000 miles away and have to pay for his/her shipping. Any idea why we have to choose one before the paperwork clears the government?
Area 51%

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 am

Area 51% wrote:OK...we're trying to send the "goods" to the FAA on line, but they are asking questions like; do you want a designee or ODA? What the heck is an ODA? Or designee for that matter. Then there are several DAR choices, like DARF or DART.

Thought we had that sorted out and it's now asking for the name of the DAR we want to use. Haven't researched any of those yet, so I hate to pick one that lives 2,000 miles away and have to pay for his/her shipping. Any idea why we have to choose one before the paperwork clears the government?

First, and ODA is an Organizational Designee Authority. You won't use one of those for an amateur-built certification. You have to remember that the AWC system is set up to handle ALL types of airworthiness application, so you will see a lot of stuff on there that doesn't apply.

If you don't know a DAR in your area, then just don't choose the option of selecting one. If you choose "none" then the FAA office you select will assign someone.

A DAR-F is a manufacturing DAR, which means they are working through a MIDO. A DAR-T is a maintenance DAR, which means they are working through a FSDO. Again, if you don't choose a DAR and instead select the FAA office nearest you, This -T or -F stuff won't matter to you.

I would suggest that you work with the MIDO if possible, but if you are familiar with and comfortable with your area FSDO then that is an option as well.

Go back and watch the tutorial webinar I posted the link to in a previous post and you will have most of your questions answered. If you are still having issues, just email or call me and I'll try to help you out. My contact info is in the same message as the link to the webinar.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Area 51% » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:12 am

Apparently, some time ago (2017ish) the wording was changed on the passenger warning label. It eliminates the wording "amateur built". Do I need to get a "current" sticker since the one that came in the EAA package is old enough to still have "amateur built" in it's verbiage?

Here's another rub...ACS sells what they call the "current" sticker, eliminating the "amateur built" wording. However, the sticker reads "federal safety requirements" and the FAA wording is "federal safety regulations".

Judges?
Area 51%

Postby Area 51% » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm

What are the actual dimensions of the Airworthiness Certificate? Document holders appear to come in all different sizes.
Or doesn't it matter if you fold the certificate in half?
Area 51%

Next

Return to General Discussion