starting on aerovee assembly

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

starting on aerovee assembly

Postby Timwaiex0146 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:30 am

Just waiting for a few backordered parts to start assembly of my aerovee. I am looking for an assembly stand or where to purchase one. Also any advice on the whole process. Thanks Tim
Timwaiex0146

Re: starting on aerovee assembly

Postby GWMotley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 pm

One suggestion I have is to helicoil all spark plug holes now rather than wait till a plug strips the threads. I also hope you are not using nikasil cylinders. I just had to replace all mine.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:36 pm

The best places for a stand or part is either:

www.cbperformance.com
www.aircooled.net

I posted a few things on my "AeroVee #0361" post in the AeroVee section about issues I ran into. This far my Nykasil cylinders are working okay but a lot of people are having issues and using the iron ones. At this point, I would just use those. Just take your time and go slow and measure everything well and it will go fine.

Let us know if you have any issues!

Gary, what happened to your engine?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby radfordc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:58 pm

GWMotley wrote:One suggestion I have is to helicoil all spark plug holes now rather than wait till a plug strips the threads. I also hope you are not using nikasil cylinders. I just had to replace all mine.

I won't say that it's impossible to strip a plug thread...but I think it's very unlikely. If you don't know what the proper "feel" is for installing a spark plug then use a torque wrench. Also use thread anti-seize lubricant so that the plug doesn't seize in the head.
radfordc

Postby kmacht » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:31 am

I would not do helicoils unless needed as they can lead to more problems than they would fix. The bottom of the helicoil if not installed perfectly can stick down past the cylinder head causing a hot spot and pre-ignition. The best advice is to make sure you use a little anti-sieze on the threads before installing them and run them down into the hole by hand before putting a wrench on to tighten. A 6" piece of rubber hose stuck on the end of the spark plug makes it easy to get the plug down past the intake tube and screwed down into the bore. Now the cylinder bolts coming out of the case are known to pull out if over torqued. That is why you will find the cases supplied have already been drilled and helicoils installed for those bolts.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Timwaiex0146 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for the help . guys, found a stand and ordered it. next question , what do you use to torque the big nut on the flywheel?. thats over my wrench's limit.
Timwaiex0146

Postby kmacht » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Not sure where you are located but if there is an Autozone or Advance Auto near you they sometimes rent tools out for the day. The one local to me has a torque wrench that goes up to 300 lbf/ft. The other option is just to use a breaker bar with a pipe attached to it the correct length. Torque is just force * distance. So if you weight 200 lbs and put all of your weight at the end of a 1 foot bar you will generate 200 foot pounds of torque. To figure out what size pipe you need you can take 227 (required torque) and divide it by your weight to find the length of the pipe. If you want something more accurate you can find something like some old gym weights and hang them off the bar instead of yourself.

Keith
kmacht

Postby corton » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Just like Kmacht said, I used a pipe with weights. See the link from my builders log:

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.p ... 348&row=43

Worked like a charm.
corton

Postby Timwaiex0146 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 pm

I knew someone would have it figured out! I have a big breaker bar that I can slip a pipe over and add the weights to.. Thanks Guys!!!
Timwaiex0146

Return to Aerovee