A Whiny Question

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: A Whiny Question

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:35 am

Talking of "the active"... There I was this morning at a deserted KUUU - Newport. 34 was favored but I was flying 04 in the 11G17 for X-Wind practice. As I came off after one of my landings there was a running Bonanza sitting on the ramp in the spot people usually sit when they are going to back taxi down 34. I tootled on down to 04 and did an extra check that the Bonanza hadn't taken 34. He was still sitting - presumably getting a clearance or whatever. I departed 04 again and was keeping an eye out for him. As I turned final on 04 - he was sitting on the hold short for 04. I landed and got off. Then the Bonanza announced "Taxiing on 4 to then back taxi 34". I clicked "Yeah - I was doing X-Wind practice". "Figured" was the response from the Bonanza. With the airport now waking up - I called it a day.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby builderflyer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:20 am

Hey Wes.........it could be worse. We have a flight school at a nearby towered airport that teaches only Chinese students and they do most of their vfr and ifr training at a non-towered airport, also close by.. So throw in not being able to understand most of what is being spoken by the students on the CTAF. Fortunately, with the school airplanes now having adsb out, we are able to "see and avoid" them much easier using that helpful tool. I don't recall if your Onex is equipped with adsb in and out but your situation is one where it becomes "almost" mandatory, if not very useful.

Art...............Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WesRagle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:18 am

Hey Art,

builderflyer wrote: I don't recall if your Onex is equipped with adsb in and out but your situation is one where it becomes "almost" mandatory, if not very useful.

No, no it's not. I set out on a mission to build a fun local flier on a $25K budget. I stayed on budget but I now wish I had blown the budget a little and installed ADSB.

That will be my first upgrade.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby builderflyer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:47 pm

WesRagle wrote:Hey Art,

builderflyer wrote: I don't recall if your Onex is equipped with adsb in and out but your situation is one where it becomes "almost" mandatory, if not very useful.

No, no it's not. I set out on a mission to build a fun local flier on a $25K budget. I stayed on budget but I now wish I had blown the budget a little and installed ADSB.

That will be my first upgrade.

Wes

Wes, for only a couple hundred dollars one can at least have adsb in.........very worth it.

Art
builderflyer

Previous

Return to General Discussion