"Say Type Experimental"

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

"Say Type Experimental"

Postby Direct C51 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:46 pm

Hey guys, I learned something new today so I figured I would share it with the community. Flying around here in SoCal, I am often talking to ATC. They have asked me to "say type experimental" before, and I've always just responded with "Sonex". Today, SoCal Approach asked me, and after I responded with "Sonex", they informed me that my ATC type code was "SONX". I looked it up when I got home, and sure enough FAA Order 7360.1D Aircraft Type Designators has all the Sonex aircraft listed.

Sonex - SONX
Waiex - WAIX
Onex - ONEX
Xenos - XNOS

The SubSonex gets no love in the FAA Order. I find a few things interesting. All of the aircraft have the same weight, wake turbulence, and same runway separation codes, so it is really redundant to have 4 separate type designators, especially for the Waiex which has the exact performance as a Sonex. They are all listed with a manufacturer of "Sonex", however my manufacturer is not Sonex, so does it really apply to me? Half the time they just call me "RV 64SX" anyhow. At least I can answer "SONX" next time I am asked to say type experimental.
Direct C51

Re: "Say Type Experimental"

Postby Sonerai13 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am

In the most current version of the order (7360.1E, dated 10/10/2019) the SubSonex is listed. it's designator is, appropriately enough, JSX. This designators are more often used when filing flight plans rather than in verbal communications with ATC. If talking to ATC, I would just say "Sonex" or "Xenos" or what have you, unless they specifically ask for the official designator.

You can also help ATC out by calling your aircraft by it's regular name rather than just saying "Experimental Nxxxx" all the time. Remember, you are only required to identify yourself as experimental on INITIAL call to a control tower, not to every ATC facility you talk to. And that is only if your operating limitations specifically require it. Amazingly, the newest operating limitations being issued per FAA Order 8130.2J No longer require this. It's much more helpful to call your aircraft what it is rather than just the generic "experimental" call sign.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Return to General Discussion