Finish polish alternatives

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Finish polish alternatives

Postby WesRagle » Thu May 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Some thread drift but ... It seems to me that the worst part of polishing 6061-T6 is removing the grain. During those long hours of F9 polishing flat sheets I've often wondered if something like whats shown in this video would replace F9 polishing. Maybe start with a higher grit sand paper, always use an interface pad, and finish with the polishing method of your choice.

Ref. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ARAB_enUS529US529&ei=05y0Xsn2E8OUtQWe3oyoDQ&q=use+fine+grit+sandpaper+to+polish+aluminum&oq=use+fine+grit+sandpaper+to+polish+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgBMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB46BAgAEEc6AggAOgYIABAWEB46DggAEOoCELQCEJoBEOUCOgUIABCRAjoICAAQgwEQkQI6BQgAEIMBOgQIABBDOgcIIRAKEKABOgQIIRAKULCdAljspgNglrcDaAFwAXgDgAHHAYgByyqSAQUzNS4yMJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQY&sclient=psy-ab#kpvalbx=_DZ20XpDuNcO-tQWyorWoBw42

Anybody tried it? Might be worth an experiment.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Rynoth » Thu May 07, 2020 9:30 pm

WesRagle wrote:Some thread drift but ... It seems to me that the worst part of polishing 6061-T6 is removing the grain. During those long hours of F9 polishing flat sheets I've often wondered if something like whats shown in this video would replace F9 polishing. Maybe start with a higher grit sand paper, always use an interface pad, and finish with the polishing method of your choice.

Ref. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ARAB_enUS529US529&ei=05y0Xsn2E8OUtQWe3oyoDQ&q=use+fine+grit+sandpaper+to+polish+aluminum&oq=use+fine+grit+sandpaper+to+polish+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgBMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB46BAgAEEc6AggAOgYIABAWEB46DggAEOoCELQCEJoBEOUCOgUIABCRAjoICAAQgwEQkQI6BQgAEIMBOgQIABBDOgcIIRAKEKABOgQIIRAKULCdAljspgNglrcDaAFwAXgDgAHHAYgByyqSAQUzNS4yMJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQY&sclient=psy-ab#kpvalbx=_DZ20XpDuNcO-tQWyorWoBw42

Wes

My understanding is that sanding our thin structural skins may remove too much material resulting in a more fragile airframe. Nuvite is supposed to "bend" the grain over rather than remove it. Sanding/scotchbrite to remove scratches is one thing, but thinning out the entire material could have unintended consequences.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WesRagle » Thu May 07, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi Ryan,

Rynoth wrote:Nuvite is supposed to "bend" the grain over rather than remove it.

I've heard that before but ... , what's all that black stuff that is all over me, all over the shop floor, and all over everything else after a polishing fit? I can see the shiny metallic stuff in the polishing pad if I go too long without using the spur. I'm not sure I buy it, especially with the F9. But I can't say for sure.

Another thing that puzzles me is just how different the F9 experience can be from sheet to sheet. I made a fairing from some 0.025 that was left over from the Sonex build over a decade ago. No kidding, three passes of F9 and it was good to go. Other parts took so many passes I quit counting. I don't know 10, maybe 12 passes. On some of the parts I gave up and hit it with three passes of No. 7 rubbing compound to get the grain down to where I could finish up with the F9. It's a mystery.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby sonex892. » Thu May 07, 2020 11:22 pm

WesRagle wrote:Some thread drift but ... It seems to me that the worst part of polishing 6061-T6 is removing the grain. During those long hours of F9 polishing flat sheets I've often wondered if something like whats shown in this video would replace F9 polishing. Maybe start with a higher grit sand paper, always use an interface pad, and finish with the polishing method of your choice.

Wes

I love a shortcut and as an experiment tried 1200 grit on the turtle deck, I later wished I hadn't. It gets rid of the mill marks quick but in the end it was a lot more work to compound than the bare sheet.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby peter anson » Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 am

I make steering struts from 6061 and polish them. I found that the best method was to use a Scotchbrite sheet (maroon or brown colour) to roughly clean off the surface and then use a buffing wheel. I'm not sure if that is useful information because a complete aircraft is a bit bigger than a 3/8" rod but it might be worth a try on a small area.

Peter
peter anson

Postby DCASonex » Fri May 08, 2020 9:13 am

Best way i found to do the initial polish to remove the grain is with the flat sheets on a large table where one can apply significant pressure to the polisher. If doing that on a finished assembly, it will leave crease marks from internal structure like wing ribs. Nuvite warms against using much pressure but I suspect that is due to the possibility of leaving crease marks on finished planes, but using pressure on flat sheets laying on a table really does speed up the process.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Rynoth » Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 am

DCASonex wrote:Best way i found to do the initial polish to remove the grain is with the flat sheets on a large table where one can apply significant pressure to the polisher. If doing that on a finished assembly, it will leave crease marks from internal structure like wing ribs. Nuvite warms against using much pressure but I suspect that is due to the possibility of leaving crease marks on finished planes, but using pressure on flat sheets laying on a table really does speed up the process.

David A.

The other (perhaps more important) thing to look out for if/when applying pressure is how hot the aluminum is getting. It can heat up rather quickly and with excessive pressure/not enough movement there's the possibility of causing warping and/or heat treating (reducing strength.) That said, doing F9 on a flat table is definitely the way to go for removing the initial grain.
Ryan Roth
Rynoth

Postby Matt541 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 am

Got my bottle in yesterday, I'll say my first impressions are good.

I only went after a few areas with a new microfiber towel, but it does appear to work as advertised. The product is definitely thinner than nuvite or other polishing compounds. It WILL NOT remove scratches and water spots. It is not for an initial polish IMHO. (The bottoms of my wings were never polished, applied some, need something more abrasive for sure.) But for maintaining or refreshing a polish, I think it works well.

KIMG8862.JPG
Pro 40 used on the left, untouched on the right. (Turtledeck being prepped for paint.)

3'-5' away it looks wonderful, closer than that and you can see any scratches or water spots.

I think it will work even better using a buffer/ polisher, but that task is a few items down the list.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Rynoth » Thu May 14, 2020 2:34 pm

I got similar results, and I'm quite impressed with the product as a maintenance polish on an already polished aircraft.

In these pictures I cleaned up the whole wing with mineral spirits, then applied Zephyr Pro40 to the leading edge skin only with microfiber. Rub on, let dry, wipe off.

Honestly using Zephyr is easier than waxing a car, it didn't require any sort of buffing, just some light elbow grease.

I did try it on my wing inspection panels that had been scotch-brite wheel smoothed but not polished. It cleaned them up a bit but by no means did it "polish" them. My impression is that it does a great job of returning the surface nearly to the original polished state, though it didn't do much/anything for water spots or bug removal/spots. It basically pulls off the surface oxidation that dulls a mirror finish.
Ryan Roth
Rynoth

Postby jowens » Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi Ryan,
I too did just hand buffing, then followed with an orbital buffer, for me, there was a huge difference including removing water spots.

Jim
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
800 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion