Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation - discussion

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation - discussion

Postby WesRagle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 pm

HI Robbie,

Thanks. That was informative, if a little embarrassing :-) I thought that information had to be there. I kept searching and poking around but never noticed the "Site Map" selection.

So that I am absolutely clear:

Sonex Foundation wrote:All of you DID see the yellow DONATE button on the right side of this page, correct??!)

When some one uses said button it supports podcasts, the discussion group site, and the foundation. Is that correct?

I'm going to go read now.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Sonex Foundation » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:31 pm

The DONATE button on the forum is for direct donations to SonexBuilders.net. Any donation there is direct to this forum.

I can tell you from very personal experience, running a website is not cheap. We just spent over $300 on web fees alone for the foundation.

I know it can be confusing, but the SonexBuilders.net forum where you are reading this, the podcast http://www.sonexflight.com/index.html and the SonexFoundation.com website all represent separate entities.

Robbie
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation
http://www.Sonexfoundation.com
Sonex Foundation

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Wes, and others,

The SonexFlight Podcast is a labor of love, and is supported mainly by the hosts of the podcast. Occasionally, the Sonex Foundation has made contributions to help defray the cost of running the podcast, and those have been greatly appreciated. Like Robbie said, all these things have costs, and those costs can add up over time. Although donations are never expected, they are appreciated.

I can't speak for the site owner of this forum, but I can imagine that the server costs alone are not insignificant. The modest amount of support the forum receives from the incredibly limited advertising on the site probably doesn't pay all the bills, and that's where the donate button and other contributions can save the day. We all benefit from this forum immensely, and recognizing that, we should consider supporting it.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby chris » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 pm

sonex1374 wrote:I can't speak for the site owner of this forum, but I can imagine that the server costs alone are not insignificant. The modest amount of support the forum receives from the incredibly limited advertising on the site probably doesn't pay all the bills, and that's where the donate button and other contributions can save the day. We all benefit from this forum immensely, and recognizing that, we should consider supporting it.

The advertising here helps to make this site a near break even endeavor.

I have had a total of 6 people donate in the past year via the button on the main page. It is appreciated.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby WesRagle » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks Guys,

I'm starting t kinda sorta understand.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Sonex Foundation » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks Wes

I know it seems complicated. It honestly isn’t meant to be.

We had three separate ideas at three different times - Chris started this forum first, then we started the foundation, then Jeff began the podcast. I’d like think we are smart enough to work together but keep the ideas separate.

And for everyone - Wes has been helping me make the website easier to use. I made major changes to the “Become a member” page and sincerely hope this makes it easier to use.

Robbie
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Foundation

Postby sonexsteve » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:53 am

Sonex in Europe

With suitable apologies to Robbie for jumping on his SBPF coat tails, could I remind anyone on the east side of the Atlantic of the existence of a European based support group for the Sonex series of aircraft?

We’re a far smaller organisation, mainly consisting of about 50 builders, flyers and Sonex wannabes. I send out a newsletter about 3 times a year, set up a meeting of members at each Light Aircraft Association Rally, and organise tool loan, spare material and parts offers.

PM me if you’d like more details, or write to stevemoody04@aol.com

Steve Moody
Leamington Spa, England
Sonex A #1383, AeroVee, tailwheel.
sonexsteve

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi steve,
Good to hear from you and your group. is your newsletter email type? would you want to post it on here?
any links or webpage for your group would be fun to read!

best,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby builderflyer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Robbie,

When you and your foundation friends appeared on the scene, my first reaction was who in the world are these newcomers and why should we pay them any respect in their apparent attempt to take over the the unofficial world of Sonex. Many times, over the years, we've seen individuals quickly rise to prominence among the Sonex group but as quickly as they have arrived they disappeared, never to be heard from again. But by now, you "newcomers" have become "old timers" and your work and goals have become known, appreciated, and relevant to me.

So, recently I submitted an application for voting membership and with that application comes a couple of questions that I'd like to see answered. First, I've received no response to the application. How will I know that I've actually become a member? Is there a published list of member's names? Second, I don't do paypal and my question has to do with where do I mail a check. Your earlier message has now confirmed that Tom Jones is still the treasurer and so I assume the check goes to him, payable to the "Sonex builders and pilots foundation" and sent to his published address. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Sonex Foundation » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Hello Art,

The skepticism is understood and certainly expected. I’m glad we have stuck around long enough to be “old timers!” I truly appreciate this and that we are relevant to you - and hopefully to all. We really, really want this to be an effort for the community.

If you submitted a voting membership then it is my job to respond. Either I didn’t or my response was not seen. I will check immediately. Thank you for reaching out! Do you know what date you did this on?

I’ve been making changes and adjustments to the process in an ongoing effort to make it easier. I’m trying.

Please do mail a check in to Tom at his published address and made out to the Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation. $25 is the annual cost. We thank you for it.

We do not, and will not publish a list of names. Mostly because I do everything I can to protect privacy, and also because no one agreed to us doing so.

For everyone, please - keep the comments, the emails, the suggestion box entries coming our way. We are trying....and the results are not always visible.

Robbie Culver
President
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Foundation

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion