Griplock ties

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Griplock ties

Postby Gmoney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:37 pm

88838.jpg

While helping out with a motor upgrade I stumbled across these zip ties that have a rubber lining. Really helped reducing if not eliminating wire chafing and easily released and reused. They now have a couple different colors and sizes. Definitely worth taking a look.
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Griplock ties

Postby Gmoney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm

https://www.griplockties.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Re: Griplock ties

Postby Fastcapy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:59 pm

My friend owns the company and gave me a few to try out. They are really nice. Highly recommend them.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Matt541 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:15 am

Yup, I'm digging them so far. Been swapping out some of the old ones on 541. They're well made, looks like they'll hold up. One concern I had was if the rubber would separate over time, but it's actually molded into the plastic tie, not just an adhesive.

Heard about them on the Experimental Aircraft Channel, ordered a big bag. Shipping got delayed, and the owner Creighton King threw in an extra bag for the trouble. Now that's service!

Side note, you also get free shipping with coupon code "experimental" for the time being.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 am

I put this video review together on Grip Lock Ties if anyone is interested:

https://youtu.be/kdWpwVJVWKY

Bottom line up front:

Will they replace your cheap zip ties for every day use? No (Well, they could depending on your budget size...)

But they're perfect for the right application where scuffing or other vibration damage is a concern. I will be replacing most of the ones on my Sonex with them. My other projects will get them too.

I was impressed by how well made they are. The rubber section is actually molded into the tie itself, which means it shouldn't just come apart over time like an adhesive would. My opinion is that the durometer rating (by feel) is correct for the application. Too soft or too hard could cause premature wear or worse.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Matt541 wrote:Yup, I'm digging them so far. Been swapping out some of the old ones on 541. They're well made, looks like they'll hold up. One concern I had was if the rubber would separate over time, but it's actually molded into the plastic tie, not just an adhesive.

Heard about them on the Experimental Aircraft Channel, ordered a big bag. Shipping got delayed, and the owner Creighton King threw in an extra bag for the trouble. Now that's service!

Side note, you also get free shipping with coupon code "experimental" for the time being.

Yeah Creighton is a good and legit guy. He owns a formula one race plane, Last Lap Player, its the orange Grip Lock Ties one, he also flies a super cub doing a lot of back country stuff with the flying cowboys, but last year he flipped it on its lid so he is rebuilding it currently.

I have a pic from him of what they looked like after a long time of use. The rubber was fine, the only change to the rubber was the contour formed around the wire. Which is a good thing because instead of digging into the wire insulation it just surrounds and forms to it!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Return to General Discussion