fuel fittings

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

fuel fittings

Postby Area 51% » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:55 pm

What's being used for fuel line fittings on the firewall side? I'm seeing a lot of blue/red items on build photos. I purchased a couple of AN fittings from Jegs, but was concerned about the apparent glue joints bonding the ends to the pipe. Are all brands assembled this way?

ACS carries similar looking wares (to my untrained eye), but most are listed with swivel joints. I would like to avoid that potential leak source if possible. Can't tell about the end-to-tube connection from the pictures.

The 1/8in NPT fitting that screws into the Aeroinjector looks to be a weak point. Any failures out there? I don't see any good strain-relief points between the carb inlet and gascolator, unless I fabricate a bracket that attaches directly to the injector. Any and all installation pictures appreciated.
Area 51%

Re: fuel fittings

Postby Rynoth » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm not aware of any fuel fitting type that requires glue. Those blue/red items you see are typically hose end fittings and compress the outer/inner sides of the hose together, much like a barb with a hose clamp. Here's a video showing how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeeflgGlenY

As for carb to gascolator, that should be done with flexible steel-braided fuel hose which serves as your strain relief.

There's basically just 3 ways any fluid line connects: hose end fitting (for hoses), flange fitting (for tubing), or npt fitting (with some kind of thread sealant such as EZ Turn lube or teflon paste.)

Also, hose end elbows aren't really swivel joints, once everything is tightened they are not intended to swivel at all.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Area 51% » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:05 pm

The Jegs fitting I have don't "require" glue, they have what appears to be some sort of epoxy that bonds/seals the ends.

I have seen listings for "swivel ends" and "non swivel ends", so there must be more to that story.

Why the steel braided line? There's no pressure, and it's going to get covered by firesleeve anyway.
Area 51%

Postby sonex892. » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:49 pm

I have 3/8" al pipe from tank to gascolator, then brass barbed fittings with Gates, 1/4" rubber fuel line covered with firesleeve to mech pump then carb. I replace these couple of feet of rubber lines every 2 years.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby peter anson » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:22 am

I have automotive neoprene fuel hose everywhere, covered with fire sleeve fwf. I think it's supposed to be changed annually but I haven't done it that often. Last lot I threw away looked almost new.

Peter
peter anson

Return to General Discussion