Canopy and windscreen covering

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Canopy and windscreen covering

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 am

So I'm debating pulling off the protective plastic covering. Partly because it would be cool and maybe motivating. I'm done working on the canopy. Still a few months away from flying. Any thoughts or advise? Did you wait until first taxi or pop it off sooner?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Canopy and windscreen covering

Postby WesRagle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:03 pm

Bryan,

Wait just as long as you can stand it.

Boromir: "I know why you seek solitude. You suffer. I see it day by day. You sure you do not suffer needlessly? There are other ways, Frodo, other paths that we might take."

Frodo: "I know what you would say. And it would seem like wisdom but for the warning in my heart."

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 am

Hey Bryan,

Definitely leave it on. Without it you have a greater risk of scratching the canopy.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby sonex1374 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:21 am

Bryan,

Wait to remove the protective film until you're not doing any final construction or assembly related tasks. Once you reach the point that the plane is together and you're just wrapping up punchlist items, it's safe to remove. You can always throw an old quilt over the canopy if needed, but you'll want the extra protection if tools are still flying....

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Area 51% » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:59 pm

For what it's worth....a local Sonex owner had enough cracks in his windscreen to warrant a replacement. It was going to be a while before we planned to fit ours, and since we were going to Oshkosh anyway, I sold him our unmolested unit with the intent of picking up a new one while at the show.

When he pulled the protective plastic after fitting the windscreen, he found the optics to be badly distorted. He got my replacement.

Just sayin'...you might want to have a look just in case. ACS sells a product (Discoat 4220) which is a temporary coating to prevent scratches during construction.
Area 51%

Postby Mike53 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Area 51% wrote:For what it's worth....a local Sonex owner had enough cracks in his windscreen to warrant a replacement. It was going to be a while before we planned to fit ours, and since we were going to Oshkosh anyway, I sold him our unmolested unit with the intent of picking up a new one while at the show.

When he pulled the protective plastic after fitting the windscreen, he found the optics to be badly distorted. He got my replacement.

Just sayin'...you might want to have a look just in case. ACS sells a product (Discoat 4220) which is a temporary coating to prevent scratches during construction.

Ditto that.I had the same issue .Finally took protective film off and discovered distorted view.Best to have a look see now as everything is fresh in your mind for installing it ,in case yours is also distorted.
No issues with Sonex I sent a photo of distortions (easy to see even in photo and they promptly sent me a new one.I was told some sit too long in oven and this causes the distortions.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:26 pm

As you guys may have seen, I did end up pulling it off. Optics look good. That would have been a heartbreak if they were bad.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to General Discussion