Wing Attachment Hardware

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Wing Attachment Hardware

Postby n307tw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm

I posted this question as a poll in the Facebook group but I want a little more insight as to what the Sonex community is using to attach their wings to the fuselage. Do you use the standard AN Bolts and Nuts method or do you use the McMaster Carr quick release pins suggested by the factory? I’d like some feedback as to the pros/cons for both options. Thanks! -Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Re: Wing Attachment Hardware

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:44 pm

A lot of stuff from McMaster seems to be from China. Hopefully my AN bolts from Spruce are not.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:35 pm

My two cents, worth far less.

I used AN hardware from Spruce. And I have to tap it in place.

Personally I like it that way.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby pappas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Personally, I can't think of a reason that I ever want to take my wings off. I will never trailer the thing anywhere, I don't have limited space in my hangar, I do not want to take 45 minutes mating the wings and reattaching electronics and pitot static systems prior to every flight nor 45 minutes removing and storing them after each flight. Subsequently, I put the nuts and bolts in every plane I build.

Others surely have other needs. But for me, I'm flying it where I want it to be next, not trailering it.

Lou Pappas
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby builderflyer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

Tim,

After 14 years of flying my Sonex, I recently recently removed the wings for the first time to do an internal inspection not otherwise possible, and to add wiring for new wingtip strobes. The wings went back on with the original "an" hardware. Like Bryan alluded to, I would hope that the "an" designation would provide a bit more credibility as to what we are relying on to hold our wings in place.

I believe that Sonex went to the pins back in the days when they were trailering their product to various airshow around the country. I wouldn't think there would be much of an advantage for even them to use pins any longer.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Spaceman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:11 am

I'll offer a different opinion. My wings haven't fallen off yet, however they have 0 hours of flight time so take this for what it's worth. I'm building a B-model, and unlike the legacy, the seat on the B-model (if you follow the plans) isn't removable once everything is riveted. So once the seat is on you can't really get at the back of the main spar tunnel.

The plans give you the option of using AN bolts or pins, but after thinking about it I went with pins for that reason. I guess if you planned on removing the wings regularly you could build in some access panels to the seat pan to access the back side of the spar tunnel, but I didn't want to put that much thought into it.

The specs on the pins from McMaster Carr list a breaking strength in double shear of 36.5k lbs. So two of them, divided by the max gross weight of the plane is like 60 g's. So at max rage factor you're stressing the pins less than 10% of what they're rated for. I'm not too worried about it!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:13 am

Probably not 60 G. You have to do the pin joint analysis considering the shear each pin sees from wing bending.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Spaceman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Haha yeah I guess you're right.

Still, after 30 seconds of googling, I'm not an expert, but AN bolts have a minimum shear strength of 76,000 psi. So ~15k lbs for a 1/2" bolt, which is less than the pins.

My only concern with the pins was, how hard would it be for them to inadvertently slide out? I thought there would be some spec for the linear force it would take to yank one out without pressing the button but I haven't found it yet. When I got mine I put one in a hole in some scrap, stood on it, and tried to pull it out and I couldn't do it. I'm no bodybiulder but I know I can deadlift a couple hundred pounds easily so I don't think they're going to fall out. Plus with any load on the wings the pins would be pinched in place anyway I guess.
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby mike.smith » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:13 am

I have the pins and regularly do aerobatics and pull up to 4.7Gs. Nothing has fallen off, and after 5 years and nearly 500 hours, everything is still tight as a drum. I'd say either way works, so do whatever makes you happy. The chamfered end of the pin does help them go in easier.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:58 pm

What direction do the 3/8” spar bolts in sonex A model go? Front to back? Thanx billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Next

Return to General Discussion