Active Forum?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Active Forum?

Postby epopper » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:20 am

I am interested in learning about and possibly building a SubSonex (2 seat JSX-2T) and would like to find an active forum. This forum seems to be dead with little discussion on the specifics of building an airplane. Is there another location that builders discuss build issues and details about their airplanes?

The benchmark in the kitbuild world is Vansairforce.net, which is extremely active...

Eric
epopper

Re: Active Forum?

Postby Rynoth » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:14 am

10+ posts in the last day seems dead to you? There's a ton of information on this forum and lots of active participants ready to answer questions.

As for subsonex discussion, there is very little of that here as I just don't think there are very many kits out there. Most of the knowledge of the users here are regarding Sonex/Waiex/Onex/Xenos and various engines, if there's a more active SubSonex forum out there i"m curious as well.

As for the Vans forum, yes there are WAY more vans kits out there, therefore more builders and activity. But we're a pretty active/informative forum here for Sonex-specific products.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Eric,

This forum is in fact very active. Your first stop should be the search box. Almost all common questions have been answered there (and some rehashed over and over again). Also sign up for the daily email digest. It comes to your inbox everyday and includes all the posts from the previous 24 hours.

Because you're looking at a SubSonex, and a version that isn't even available yet, you won't see many SubSonex specific posts. But keep in mind the airframe structure of ALL the Sonex models is very similar. So just because a valid answer is posted for a Xenos doesn't mean it isn't valid for a SubSonex.

Almost remember that the SubSonex models only come as 'quick build' kits. You'll instantly skip over many potential issues that builders of other kits may (or may not) encounter.

And lastly because you're looking at the newest model if the plans or forum doesn't have an answer to your question you can always email Sonex tech support. They are great at getting back to you with an answer.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 am

As an dditional source of information please check out Kitplanes magazine both in print and online. They are thoroughly documenting the construction of Paul Dye’s SubSonex.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby WesRagle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately there is very little discussion on this forum of building a SubSonex.

I think the main reason is that there is little to discuss. As I understand it the Jets are only available as quick build so there's nothing to discuss as far as scratch build, kit build, quick build, ...

The gear is retractable so there is nothing to discuss as far as gear configuration, tire size, wheel fairings, .... It is what it is.

There is nothing to discuss as far as engine choice. Again, it is what it is.

Can't discuss carbs or prop selection.

As far as instrumentation is concerned I think it would be wise to follow the company lead exactly.

I agree with Jake. If you are truly interested in building a Jet, keep an eye on Paul's articles in Kit Planes, read all the information on the Sonex web site,
and enjoy obsessing about the paint scheme :-) If you hit a snag while building, Sonex LLC tech support is readily available.

My $0.02,

Wes
Last edited by WesRagle on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:39 pm

We need a first subsonex builder to get active on the forums and maybe others would join in. This is a great forum.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby mike.smith » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Eric:

We would all LOVE to live vicariously through a Subsonex builder! So if you do, I guarantee you'll get some forum traffic by sharing!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Active Forum?

Postby n307tw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Eric,

I agree with Mike. Be the starting force of sharing your sub-Sonex build with the rest of us. Until then, I doubt you’ll get much input from other builders who haven’t built one yet. If I win the lottery rest assured I’ll be building that two-seater!

-Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Return to General Discussion