Double Sided Tape

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Double Sided Tape

Postby WesRagle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get my panel laid out. I intend to use a handheld radio for comm. The radio will be mounted to the left side of the panel such that I can slip my fingers behind it and operate the key pad with my thumb. Should be workable as long as the frequencies are pre-programmed.

Here is the general idea for mounting.

The top mount is easy since I can use screws that were used for the belt clip.

The bottom mount, not so easy. There are no attach points.

I have heard Mike and Andrew talk/write about some 3M VHB double sided tape tha AJAX won't take off. Seems like that would be my best solution for attaching the radio to the bottom mount.

Question: Can someone provide a 3M part number for some very strong 3M VHB double sided tape? I took a shot at ordering some but what I got was just a thin film of adhesive. Nothing I could use. Seems like the best solution would be thin foam with adhesive on both sides.

Thanks for Your TIme,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: Double Sided Tape

Postby Rynoth » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:51 pm

I have used these 2 products with good success in places where I like the object to be removable, such as my baggage compartment (top of the longerons) and my stratus GPS on the glareshield. The thick version in particular has an extremely strong fasten that IMO is stronger than foam in a double-sided tape application.

Thick version:

https://www.amazon.com/Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Purpose-Scissors/dp/B07NFBN4L4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=3m+dual+lock&qid=1564681693&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thin version:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK330/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=3m+dual+lock&qid=1564681693&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

I haven't used any double-sided tape though so can't help there.

What about hot glue?

Edit: I just realized you want to stick the mount to the radio, rather than the brackets to the panel with tape. So the products I linked probably aren't what you're looking for. Still they're handy for some other applications where double-sided tape might also be considered.

What about hot glue?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Or a strap? Not as attractive. Can you peek inside the radio? Maybe there’s space for a rivnut or something
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby mike.smith » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 am

I used this to mount a bottle holder per Mike Smith's idea from his video - just with the spars in the spar box - I could not get a rivet in. So I used this stuff. It is slightly foam padded so it conforms to irregularities.

Also used it to mount the ELT alarm buzzer.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Extreme-Mounting-400-inches-414-LONGDC/dp/B00FUEN2GK/ref=sr_1_3
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby rick9mjn » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:47 am

Double Sided Tape...........free /a cheep idea , is to use the double "Velcro" , that you can get free ,
to mount your electronic - express way pass to your windshield.in your car .............
good luck /good day / rick
rick9mjn

Postby kmacht » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am

3M Automotive molding tape is some of the best stuff I have found. It holds up in heat, wet, cold, etc. You can find it at most automotive stores.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 071&rt=rud

I have that some radio (Icom A6 I think) panel mounted in my plane. It is flush mounted to the panel just using the two screws where the belt clip used to go. It has been plenty strong enough and doesn't really move at all while in flight. One thing to note if you don't already know is that you can't feed the radio straight off of the airplanes battery. You need a power adapter to get it to work. The radio needs to see a very specific voltage at the external power plug before it will let you transmit. I think it is 11.4 volts. Any higher or lower and the radio will work in receive mode only. It took me a while to figure this out and is the reason that you see cigarette lighter adaptors that are specific to these radios.

Keith
kmacht

Postby WesRagle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks Everybody,

Rynoth wrote:What about hot glue?

I use it around the house, but it fails "all at once". My shower shaving mirror just released from it's frame :-)

GordonTurner wrote:Or a strap? Not as attractive. Can you peek inside the radio? Maybe there’s space for a rivnut or something

I may use some tape and a strap. We'll see. That spot on the back of the radio is the battery.

mike.smith wrote:https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-RP62-width-length/dp/B007Y7EDHI/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=3m+vhb&qid=1564715190&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Other widths are available.

I hit the "Buy Now with one click" on this last night. That button is going to be my financial ruin :-(

kmacht wrote:3M Automotive molding tape is some of the best stuff I have found. It holds up in heat, wet, cold, etc. You can find it at most automotive stores.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 071&rt=rud

I have that some radio (Icom A6 I think) panel mounted in my plane. It is flush mounted to the panel just using the two screws where the belt clip used to go. It has been plenty strong enough and doesn't really move at all while in flight. One thing to note if you don't already know is that you can't feed the radio straight off of the airplanes battery. You need a power adapter to get it to work. The radio needs to see a very specific voltage at the external power plug before it will let you transmit. I think it is 11.4 volts. Any higher or lower and the radio will work in receive mode only. It took me a while to figure this out and is the reason that you see cigarette lighter adaptors that are specific to these radios.

Keith

HI Keith,

I may get some of the molding tape as well. I used some years ago to reattach trim on my old PU truck. It's still on there. The dog that chewed it off is long gone. I have no idea where I got that tape. Too long ago.

Yea, I just bought the DC adapter (switching power supply) for the A6. Still waiting on the battery to arrive. The radio has been sitting unused for over 10 years. I need to see everything work before I mount it.

Questions:

What are you using for an antenna?
Is the radio working well for you?
How do you operate the radio with it flush mounted to the panel? Do you use your pointer finger?

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby kmacht » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:06 pm

What are you using for an antenna?
For an antenna I just have a simple bent whip coming out the bottom of the fuselage just in front of the spar tunnel.

Is the radio working well for you?
It works just fine. A little more power would be nice at times and the ability to listen to both the ATIS and airport frequency at the same time would be convenient but other than that it has been a nice inexpensive solution.

How do you operate the radio with it flush mounted to the panel? Do you use your pointer finger?
I have it run through an SP-400 intercom so it works like any panel mounted radio through the headset and a stick mounted PTT switch. For actually changing channels I have all my local airports pre-programmed so I just need to turn the knob on the top to get to the right frequency. When I need a non-programmed frequency I just punch it in with my index finger. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to do.

Keith
kmacht

Postby WesRagle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:13 pm

kmacht wrote:I just need to turn the knob on the top to get to the right frequency.

Thanks Keith. I understand. I just read page 12 of the manual :-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Next

Return to General Discussion