Auto pilot for OneX

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Auto pilot for OneX

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone installed a dual axis auto pilot in an OneX? Any pictures to share of the servo push rod connections? ( Note: I'm interested in info on the OneX - not Sonex or Waiex or Xenos. )

My servos would be connected to an MGL EFIS. Thanks.

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Re: Auto pilot for OneX

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am

Vince Homer has an autopilot in his Onex. Perhaps he can share some details?

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby davion » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Bump to see how to make that work.
davion

Postby XenosN42 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:59 pm

So I can answer my own question. I was talking to another OneX builder today and he remembered that Dudley Foster built a OneX with autopilot about 5 years ago and he documented his build. I looked up his build log.

For the attitude servo this is the important page: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=Dudley%20Foste&project=2044&category=8188&log=185208&row=4

For the roll servo this is the important page: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=Dudley%20Foste&project=2044&category=8188&log=182681&row=6

I'll post some pictures of my install once it's complete. I should have it installed by the end of August, depending on the delivery time of the servos.

Hope this helps any OneX builder thinking about an auto pilot install.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Postby vhhomer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. The servo for the roll control is in the wing root on my Onex so I can't get a good photo of it. I will see if I can get something through the wing rib lightening holes late today.

On my Sonex the servos are under the seat pan, but there's less room under the pan in the Onex. Especially since I lowered the Onex pan enough to keep from hitting the canopy in mild turbulence.

A good option for the Onex might be the system that uses high end RC servos mounted in the control surface driving trim tabs. The last time I checked they weren't available for the Sonex planes yet, but that was a while ago.

Vincent Homer
(626) 497-8735
vhhomer

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for getting back. I installed the servos in my OneX last Thursday and made a test flight two days ago. Everything seems to be working well.

I installed the roll servo on the right side of the floor just in front of the spar. It's not in the way at all, my feet pass over it without any interference.

The pitch servo is installed just behind the rear spar carry through.

I use the MGL iEFIS Explorer and MGL servos.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Return to General Discussion