wheel pants

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

wheel pants

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Here's what I've got; A 6in dimension on the print from the wheel pant mount (hydraulic brakes page L07) to the end of the axle. Wheel pants that are 5.5in or less across.

What it does; Bows the outside of the pant (badly) when it's pulled out enough to fit over the axle (haven't even yet installed an anti-strain washer to the inside of the pant. Not to mention the tire favors the outside of the opening like I've never seen on any Sonex or Waiex.

Are these pants supposed to taper from top to bottom? Mine are 6in wide at the top (and the seam is equidistant from either side) but go down to under 5.5 at the bottom with the seam grossly favoring one side.

If this is normal, can someone give me some direction/install tips?

Thanks

Working with my pants down around my shoes here @Area 51%
Area 51%

Re: wheel pants

Postby sonex1566 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Mine are the same, I have to flex the pant out a bit to slide it over the axle. However once it's on it looks all right. It does make it easier to get the screws started with the wheel pant 'sticking in position while I fold my old bones over to line the screw holes up. I'm pretty sure I had to do a bit of adjusting with a dremel to give enough clearance to the tyre but it was no big deal. Once the seam was filled and painted I reckon that they came up okay. You could always enforce a crowd line so that critical onlookers don't get too close!
Richard
Scratch build Sonex
Std gear, dual control
Jabiru 3300, Sensenich prop
19-8776
1st Flight 25th June 2019. 170 hrs so far.....
http://www.sonex1566.com
sonex1566

Postby Darick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 pm

I cut off 1/2" of each axle so the wheel pant goes over nicely now. I should have done it before I located the outside hole on the pants and consequently had to relocate and drill a new hole on the outside of the wheel pant.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 pm

The tire favors the outside of the pant opening to the point I have to keep the axle length as it is just to keep the tire from rubbing. Even stretching the pant over the axle (makes the pant look like a polliwog), the tire comes very close to the edge of the hole. And it's not even on the ground yet.

A 1/2in offset in the mounting bracket would do wonders for the fit. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a 600 ton press brake and the appropriate tooling. My Harbor Freight brake will only allow a 5/8in offset. A problem with an offset bracket, however, is it leaves part of the brake assembly out in the open.

I don't see any other solution other than cutting the pant and widening it. I probably should welcome the practice with fiberglass-reinforced resin as the cowl is coming up soon.
Area 51%

Return to General Discussion