Wing Tank Bulk Purchase Update

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Wing tank baffles!???

Postby lpaaruule » Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 am

I heard something rattling in my wing tank, but was unable to shake it out; it would just stop about half way. Long story short, after about a half hour, I discovered the tanks have some sort of internal baffling. It’s hard to see inside, but appears to be a black sponge.

I guess I’m happy about this, assuming it's not just some leftover garbage...
Last edited by lpaaruule on Mon May 06, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Re: Wing Tank Bulk Purchase Update

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun May 05, 2019 10:33 pm

hi paul, all,
I did not flush out my tanks, but stood them vertically and shook them . a few metal shavings fell out. I think it would be prudent to flush them. the blockage inside, don b. took his tanks today and got his out. he said it looked like a black sponge. it sure would have been nice for azalea to have complete and updated plans and let us know they put these sponges in there. don will test his with some fuel to make sure is compatible. i put the sonex blue fuel cubes in mine. i took the big cube and cut it into 8 smaller cubes. i put in 40 smaller cubes a side. this was to prevent sloshing. i will post again what don finds with the black sponge.

be safe spring is here. flying will pick up.
a happy mothers day to all across the globe.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Cess32cw » Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Finished installing and plumbing the tanks. Opted to use both transfer pumps, one for each tank. Mounted them equidistant from each wing root on the floor in front of the spar tunnel. Plumbed a line from each pump into a "T" fitting (also in front of the spar in the middle) and ran a single fuel line from there up to the tank. Put a couple of gallons in each wing and turned on the pumps (single switch for both pumps to run simultaneously). When all was said and done one tank emptied completely and one didn't empty at all. Time to troubleshoot. Maybe a single line from both pumps to the header is the culprit. The instructions show running a line from each pump up to the header tank. Has anyone else successfully plumbed the system so that both tanks empty properly? I'm wondering if one of the pumps is overpowering the other at the "T" fitting. Not likely in my mind as I figure once one tank finishes emptying, the other would then begin to flow. Both pumps are operating but maybe one is defective.? Any thoughts before I start pulling it apart and trying something else?
Cess32cw

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm

hi all,
don b. got his black sponge out hes testing it for avgas compatibility. said his tanks were filthy inside. best to flush out the tanks, possibly take out that black sponge if you dont want it in there, or use something else like the sonex cubes.
The pumps that were shipped with the kits, cheap chinese knock offs. $12.99 on amazon . read the reviews. my advice is to get yourself a quality pump(s) from spruce, a facet. $50. spruce has all the specs on a page, pick what fits your install. i got one with a check valve and positive fuel shut off. im running one pump ,rt floorboard. , just ahead of spar, under flap drive. tank lines come to a t that comes out of the backside of pump. works well.
anyone else has installed their tanks ? . i know paul in mi. was installing his.
i hope my earlier posts have helped you out.
i hope jeff can find the time soon, refine what ive done, and post some pics.
good luck to all.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Cess32cw » Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for the input Michael So it sounds like you are also only running one line from the floor in front of the spar up to the main tank. Do your tanks transfer pretty evenly? How long for both tanks to empty completely? Which Facet pump did you decide to use? Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Cess32cw

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi guy,all,
I chose the facet #40178. it has a check valve and positive fuel shut off. its pumping capacity is 15 gal per hour. Another pump i like is their #40288, 30pgh and a check valve. Yes its pumps evenly. you need a watch or timer. the pump will pulsate when its running, but with noise cancelling heasets and engine noise you wont hear it. i can watch the dynon efis and see the fuel level come up slowly . the facet pumps weigh twice as much as a knock off. ed lee contacted facet and posted that the pump can run dry for 15 min before any damage is done.
PM me, i’ll send some pics to you on your cell phone.
I posted earlier, if you get the tools and proper hardware first this is an easy one week job. no need to remove the wings.
If any are interested in purchase, contact azalea aviation. i reccomend just buy the tanks and finger screens. source all the other hardware yourself. buy quality correct hardware.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Cess32cw » Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 am

Michael,
Sent PM yesterday but appears to be stuck in “outbox”. Please PM “Cess32cw” and I will reply. Thanks

Mark Ackerman
Waiex N150ML
CAMit3300, Taildragger,Dynon Skyview
Cess32cw

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi all,
Don B. reports that the black sponges that azalea put into tanks are compatible with avgas 100LL.
similiar in look to the sonex blue fuel cubes. he took his completely out to test them. he will be going with the sonex blue fuel cubes to prevent sloshing. tanks need a good cleaning before use. sure would have been nice for azalea to clean out the tanks before shipping. $1300 + $200 shipping. i would have expected better.
My suggestion would be to take out the black sponge, hold tank verticle , flange up. get your garden hose and flush out the tanks.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WantaflyaOnex » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:46 pm

So who actually made these tanks? What's the secret here? TIA
Darrell Reiley
Onex #132
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Sensenich Propellor
VFR Lite
EAA Technical Counselor Retired
EAA Chapter 187
WantaflyaOnex

Wing Tank Bulk Purchase Update

Postby Tigers2007 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:36 pm

WantaflyaOnex wrote:So who actually made these tanks? What's the secret here? TIA

Good question. Can someone post photos of the installation? Only one photo loads up; the rest have bad links.

**update** seems that the photos load when I do NOT use the Tapatalk app and use my phone’s regular web browser instead.
Last edited by Tigers2007 on Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers2007

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion