voltage regulator mounting

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

voltage regulator mounting

Postby Area 51% » Mon May 06, 2019 12:43 pm

The voltage regulator supplied with my Aerovee is marked TRR2277 REG-RECT ONAN. (Yes I'm familiar with ONAN engines, and the abbreviations for regulator and rectifier).

I'm sure it's a fine regulator, but how it mounts is giving me fits. It has a single ear cast into it's body with a 1/4-20 threaded hole. That ear doesn't lie in the same plane as the back of the regulator and would require a stand-off, leaving the unit hanging by it's mount . I'm not above drilling out the threaded hole in favor (that's favour for those of you that fly the Union Jack) of a through-bolt, but a single attach point on the firewall doesn't sit well.

Are there any other regulator options that have an offset tab on both ends? The regulator shown in the Sonex web catalog (catalogue) would be my preferred choice.

Listening to AC/DC while working out the rectifier details here @ Area 51%
Area 51%

Re: voltage regulator mounting

Postby Rofomoto » Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Just a thought.. try Iron Maiden. Just kidding wish I was far enough along to be mounting regulator. Good luck. Billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Area 51% » Mon May 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Not really that far along. Just needed a distraction from my mixer clearance/rigging issues.
Area 51%

Postby mike.smith » Mon May 06, 2019 11:16 pm

I don't have any photos, but I built a small 2-hole plate for mine. It was shaped like and inverted "U", made of thicker aluminum. The regulator screwed into the top of the U, and the regulator sat "inside" the U, keeping it from rotating.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Area 51% » Tue May 07, 2019 9:27 am

Kerry's article this month in Kitplanes is spot-on about what can drag out a build. I'm now into day 2 of what should have been a 20min job. Something that should be as simple as drilling 2 holes and bolting up a regulator has now turned into a scavenger hunt/engineering/manufacturing exercise.
Area 51%

Postby Titanium Cranium » Tue May 07, 2019 11:08 pm

The voltage regulator that was mounted to the firewall on my Waiex failed after less than 50 hours (my theory is that it got too hot because it had very little air flow on the firewall). As it turned out, the only way to get to the nuts inside the the cockpit (due to the location of the regulator on the firewall) was to pull the windscreen, glareshield, and fuel tank. Instead, I chose to make a small and simple bracket out of angle aluminum, which attached to the side of the filler neck pocket, and allowed the single threaded bolt on the body the new type of regulator to serve as the only attachment point. The location allows for more air flow over it to prevent overheating and burning it up, and has not resulted in the regulator coming loose or having any issues in the last 115 flight hours. If I can get the website to work where my photos are hosted, I'll post a picture for you. The whole thing took me an hour to make and install (and I just left the failed regulator on the firewall to avoid the hassle).
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Return to General Discussion