Wing Tank Bulk Purchase Update

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Identical Tanks?

Postby lpaaruule » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:26 am

I'm just about to install my tanks, and wanted to verify that there is supposed to be a right and left tank?

Mine are identical (drain holes clocked the same direction). It appears I have two left tanks!

Anyone else get identical tanks?
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Re: Wing Tank Bulk Purchase Update

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 am

Hi all, paul,
Yes one of the other tank purchaers told me about left/right tanks . Tip the flange slightly forward to mimick the skin curvature. and see direction of the drain stem. Dont worry about it. mine are like yours , one back slightly, one angles forward slightly. Not alot but take this into account when drilling the hole in the skin underneath for the drain. It could be as much as a inch, inch and a half forward or aft from just straight down. and if you make a mistake, dont fret, just make up some nice cover plates like i did. Once the cover plates are on you dont notice the drain being slightly tipped.

keep in touch , dont know if any one else has started their install. Please ask any qustions.

to start pick up 2 rolls of chafe tape from spruce. thick teflon. ($45.50 ea) then wrap with thin clear packing tape. will protect the edges of the teflon as you take them in/out during install.
pick up some fiberwashers for the finger screens. make sure they screw on tight.
get some angled -4/ 1/8 npt fittings for the vents.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby builderflyer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 am

Yes, Paul, there is a left and right tank although the manufacturer of the tanks didn't do a very good job of accurately locating the drain hole or the outlet from the tank or communicating to the purchaser that, in fact, there was a left and right tank. At the time of constructing the tank, the manufacturer should have immediately marked the tank as to whether it was a left or right as the difference is subtle and I can easily see where two of the same side tanks could be shipped by mistake.

As your tanks would be installed in the wing, did you check the position of the outlet from the tanks as well as the location of the drain hole? Will it be at the very bottom of the tank in flight? The manufacturer would have been wise to utilize a simple jig when putting these tanks together. They seemed to have just eyeballed the location of features of importance to any fuel tank.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 pm

hi all, art,
yes thanks for pointing this out. when selecting to see which would be the best tank for left or right, not only check the drain angle, but most importantly the fuel exit port to try to get it to be on the bottom centered. it may not be but try to get the best you can. the tank will be set on angle in tube via the flange to wing skin contact.
any one else start on tank install?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby lpaaruule » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for the info.

Here is a picture of my tank outlets and drain holes. The filler necks are resting on a flat piece of cardboard.

Here is a link to the picture if it isn't showing up:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y1CDBCQB32BhQ2LT8

Paul
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby builderflyer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:56 am

Paul, looking at your photo and the position of the drain hole vs the outlet hole, it would appear that the left tank is on the right and the right tank is on the left in the photo. I say that because the drain hole is supposed to be at a lower point than the outlet hole when a taildragger Sonex is sitting in a three point stance. However, without seeing the position of the flanges on the filler necks it's difficult to be sure that they would be positioned in agreement with the above determination.

So only seeing what shows in your photo it would appear that you have a left and right tank, not two left tanks as you said earlier. But seeing the entire tank(s) in person makes you the best judge of what you really have there.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm

hi all,
some part numbers to get started:
from acs

chafe tape. 09-31805. 2 rolls. $45.50 a roll.
vent fittings AN822-4D elbow 2. $9.55 ea. -4 flare and 1/8 npt
AN4 fittings in the kit. use the 1/4 in alum tube for vent. a length of 18 in is good to start out with.
there is 1/4 alum tube supplied, you could use that for the fuel line. i upgraded to the an6 size rubber steel braided lines, like the rest of the plane has.

other shop tools handy to have , a 37* flaring tool, small tubing bender, pipe cutter.

permatex2.
jb quickweld

flush inspection cover plate from http://www.mykitairplane.com
get .032 flush option biggest one they make 4 1/2 in opening after installed.

2 1/2in hole saw.

i made my own 4 cover plates underneath for the drains and fuel port access with a fly cutter 4inch.
4 holes per plate, attached with countersunk rivnuts and pan head screws
if you get all the needed tools and correct parts beforehand this can be an easy install and be done easily in a week.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby lpaaruule » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:36 am

Hi Art, thanks for the reply.

I can see what you're saying about the drain hole being on different sides of the outlet. I would have thought the outlets would have been in the 7 O'clock position for the right wing, and the 5 O'clock position for left wing.

BTW, in the pictures, the flanges of both tanks are resting in the same position (pointed straight down).

Anyway, I think I'm going to do as Michael said, and just buy, or make adapters for the drains.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby Hoosier 6 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Jeff,

I'm a late arrival to this thread, but do you know if there's any chance the shop that built these tanks would build more (1) for sale to individuals or (2) could another group-buy be arranged? I'm very interested in the Sonex aircraft, especially the B models, and the ability to extend the range with these wing tanks would be a great feature.

Thanks,

Rick
Hoosier 6

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi Rick,
As one of the kit buyers, and the only one so far who has installed their tanks from the bulk purchase, my suggestion would be to buy the wing tanks and finger screens only. Source all the other items
yourself, as to buy quality and correct hardware.
contact azalea aviation.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion