Broke Tap in Canopy Bow

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Broke Tap in Canopy Bow

Postby Spaceman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:41 pm

I have gone and gotten myself into a nice pickle! I was just wrapping up the last few items for the canopy the other day, and the last thing before reassembling it for good was to tap all the 6-32 holes around the canopy frame. Of course I got a little too fast on the 45th hole out of 48 and snapped the tap off in the hole. I tried everything I could to get it out with no luck, so I brought it to a machine shop in town. They weren't able to extract it either, so they told me they pretty much ground it off, welded the hole shut, and re-drilled and tapped the hole. Sounded great, and all it cost me was a 12-pack!

Anyway I got back working on it today, touched up the paint where they worked on it, and started installing the actual canopy on the frame. Turns out they actually did weld the hole shut and drilled a new one, but it's not in exactly the same place as the original hole was. I can't tell for 100% sure either, but from looking at the back side I can see my original hole and there might even still be a little chunk of tap stuck in it!

So now I have this one hole that doesn't line up with the hole in the canopy, and I'm trying the decide what would be the best way to deal with it. The two ideas I had were:

1. Enlarge the hole in the canopy enough to meet the new hole in the frame. However then I'd need a much larger countersunk washer to cover the big hole, and I haven't found anything like that yet.

2. Use the hole in the canopy as a guide and drill another hole in the original location. I'm a little concerned though if there's still a piece of tap in there, if I'd even be able to drill through it!

Attached is a picture that shows where the hole in the canopy and the hole in the frame are relative to each other. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks!!
Attachments
20190326_211309.jpg
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Re: Broke Tap in Canopy Bow

Postby Spaceman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:09 am

After thinking about it some more, I think I'm going to have to suck it up and try drilling through the original hole. Even if the hole gets a little messed up I could just drill it a bit larger and use a longer screw with a nut, rather than tapping it again. I think if I try to make the hole in the canopy match the new hole in the frame there's no way it'll look decent!
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Postby sonex892. » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:56 am

What a bummer. I doubt you will be able to get the tap out now they have welded over the top of it. I doubt you will ever be able to drill through the tap.

It appears to be the rear bow, If it is the rear bow? I would thought put an aluminium strap about an inch or a bit wider on top of the plexiglas and cover the entire bow to hide it. Good luck with it.

Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Stogie6 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:05 am

There goes your Bronze Lindy!
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby Spaceman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 am

Yeah it's the rear bow. Not too worried about the Lindy!
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 am

I haven’t done the canopy yet so I don’t know much about it. Can you fill the plexi hole with clear (silicon?) or whatever substance fills it, and drill a completely new hole half an inch away?
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Rynoth » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 am

For what it's worth, I actually used longer bolts with nuts on all of my canopy/windscreen bow holes so I wouldn't have to worry about the screws backing out over time (since we can't use loctite, though I think some have used silicone sealant as a threadlocker.) Nothing wrong with going this route unless you don't like the aesthetic of the nuts on the inside, even if it's for just 1 hole. You could even paint the nut black to somewhat hide it visually, but it's probably one of those things that only you would notice down the line.
Last edited by Rynoth on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby builderflyer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:52 am

You mean like this, Steve. I didn't break a tap but thought the "strap" would be a good way to go considering that I used cherry N rivets to attach the canopy to the frame.

20190327_063358-1.jpg

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:07 am

GordonTurner wrote:I haven’t done the canopy yet so I don’t know much about it. Can you fill the plexi hole with clear (silicon?) or whatever substance fills it, and drill a completely new hole half an inch away?

This is what I'd do. Drilling out a tap will make it perfect because you would end up replacing all the parts after the disaster.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Spaceman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:46 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:
GordonTurner wrote:I haven’t done the canopy yet so I don’t know much about it. Can you fill the plexi hole with clear (silicon?) or whatever substance fills it, and drill a completely new hole half an inch away?

This is what I'd do. Drilling out a tap will make it perfect because you would end up replacing all the parts after the disaster.

Haha so are you saying try to drill through the original hole, or don't even try because I'll end up destroying everything?

What's a good filler for plexiglass? Some kind of epoxy?
Chris Paegelow
Spaceman

Next

Return to General Discussion