In line fuel filter

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

In line fuel filter

Postby Darick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm using the Jegs in line fuel filter, same as other folks are using.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15034/10002/-1

I have the above filter on my AeroVee.

After reading the article "Top Three Fuel System Problem" in January 2019 Sport Aviation, I again looked at my Jegs Fuel filter. It has a 30-40 micron filter inside...40 microns = .0016! I changed out the filter at 5 hours, washed, put away for the next planned inspection, then replaced with the extra one sent from Jegs.

I just inspected the first one I had washed, with a magnifying glass and immediately saw an accumulation of dust, very fine particles in the folds of the filter, missed with the naked eye! This "dust" had to be removed with very pointy tweezers.

My question is...is that fine filter really necessary? I don't think there is any oriface in the AeroInjector that would get clogged with anything that small. On the contrary, it seems there would be more of a danger of the filter getting clogged with something that would otherwise pass through the AeroInjector.

I'm debating if I want to remove the filter and just rely on the finger strainer in the fuel tank. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: In line fuel filter

Postby sonex1374 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Darick,

Although one particle of lint, dust or crud might pass thru the AeroInjector harmlessly, many particles being present might be a separate situation. They might start to accumulate internally, and cause problems. I think the approach here is to clean out the crud from your fuel tank so the rate of accumulation slows to a predictable rate. I've noticed that the first year or two my filter showed a lot more accumulation than subsequent years, presumably as the tank purged itself from stuff admitted during construction. It might be better to try cleaning the filter every few hours over say the next few months and see if things settle down on their own.

The Jegs filter elements have quite a lot of surface area with all their folds, and should provide a good service interval. You could always run a flow test yourself just after removing the dirty filter (e.g. a timed volume flowed thru the dirty filter) and then repeat it after cleaning to get data on how "plugged" the filter had become. If you do this I'd love to see your results....

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Flows up to 130 GPH @75PSI. That is a lot more PSI than our gravity feed systems have but I think the filter will catch a lot of crud before it impacts flow to an Aerovee. I'll probably check it at 25 or 50 hours and then yearly at annual.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 am

That little disk filter wouldn’t make me very comfortable. I think this filter may be designed to fit the same housing you have but offers hugely more area, and 100 microns makes more sense to me.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15007/10002/-1

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 am

I'm not sure it fits the same housing. I don't think my housing is 5"length total including AN fittings.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Darick » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm

You are correct Bryan. The housing we use is not the 5" model.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Ah. I see you are correct. It looks like that one comes in 8AN
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Return to General Discussion