ground running and overheating

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

ground running and overheating

Postby tx_swordguy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 pm

This may sound like a stupid question but here it goes. I am considering flying into Oshkosh this year if the plane is up to it at that point. Having never done this before I have been trying to educate myself. I have been watching youtube videos of approach and departures and it appears that it is not uncommon for people to be on the ground for 1+hrs waiting for takeoff ( I am assuming with the engine running). I can get up to the 315 range on at least one CHT on the ground if idling for very long so an hr on the ground is concerning to me. I try to lean as much as I can when on the ground so as to not load up the plugs. I don't really have a problem leaving as early as possible on my return, but an hr on the ground trying to move around does concern me with overheating issues. Anyone and everyone is welcome to chime in and give me your thoughts about this. Am I overly concerned about this? I am guessing yes since 14,000 planes do it every year, but I thought I would ask.
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Re: ground running and overheating

Postby jaflint » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi Mark:

Ed Lee and I both left Camp Sonex at 6am on Wednesday last year. We rolled straight out to departure with barely a stop. That’s one option.

Most of the Sonex neighbors were up by that point, so I didn’t feel too bad about it.

Hope to see you there this summer. Can’t wait!
Jason Flint
Sonex #1655
3.0L Corvair
1200+ hours
2600+ landings!
jaflint

Re: ground running and overheating

Postby sonex1374 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:38 am

Mark,

Arriving and departing at the busiest times can result in lengthy taxi times, but it doesn't have to be so. If you choose off-times, like arriving on Sunday or Tuesday, or departing very early in the morning, you can usually get in or out pretty quickly. If you were to find yourself stuck in traffic, engine overheating, you could pull into the grass and out of the way to shut down. You might get some ground personnel coming over to see what the issue was, but they'll help sort it out while you cool down.

Last year arriving on Sat/Sun was particularly jammed up due to the limited weather windows. Planes got in as fast as the runway could allow, then the ground movement piece had to slowly empty out the backlog to the parking spots. Lot's of people would shut down for several minutes as they sat and waited.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Return to General Discussion