Sight Tube.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sight Tube.

Postby vwglenn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Or if you mount your ipad on the panel, drill a hole under the camera.

That's a slick idea. If you had the hole in the panel you wouldn't even need to run video. You could just open the camera and watch the screen for a second or two.

The GoPro idea has merit too. Then it has a dual purpose as well.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby onex28 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 pm

What type of tubing is being used for a site tube. Been through this thread and find no mention of it. I thought of Bing fuel line but it is blue, too dark?
onex28

Postby radfordc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:29 pm

radfordc

Postby onex28 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks, ordering now.

David
onex28

Postby lpaaruule » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Hopefully withing the next month or so I'll be installing wing tanks. This complicates fuel monitoring slightly, and if the fuel transfer doesn't go as planned due to transfer pump failure, etc, I want to be sure about the fuel level in the main tank. My redcube flow sensor is very accurate, but can't account for fuel transfer issues.

I recently bought a "Bingo 3" fuel sensor from Belite, and physically installed it in a brand new hole at the 4 gallon level, but haven't wired it up yet. Unfortunately, when I returned to my hanger a couple days later, I discovered that the silicone washer that is included with the sensor had swelled, and allowed 2+ gallons to leak in inside the Sonex. I tried to tighten the sensor, and the silicone washer just squished all the way out. I had a big mess to clean up.

I bought some viton o-rings from harbor freight, and will probably try to install the sensor again today.

Having said all that, I'm having second thoughts about using the "Bingo 3" sensor. It's made out of plastic, and if it were to crack during flight, I've have could possibly have a 9/16" hole gushing fuel inside the plane.

I'm thinking that the old fashion approach of installing a sight tube with a very small orifice at the bottom of the tank may be much safer. I'm thinking of maybe drilling a 1/64" hole in a solid rivet hammered into a barb fitting.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. Happy new year.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 pm

I have a backup camera I'm using to monitor fuel. Here is Jeff's video.
https://youtu.be/pnXE_hSvlJI
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lpaaruule » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:33 pm

I had a backup camera, but removed it. Mine was difficult to see.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby lpaaruule » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:27 am

Just a followup on the Bingo 3 fuel detector.

After contacting Belite, and sending them a picture of the swollen silicone 0-ring, they sent me a Buna-N O-ring as a replacement. I installed the Buna-N O-ring, and the leaking problem seems to be solved.

I also did a little research on the plastic the sensor body is made out of, and was pleased to see it is a high quality durable plastic.

I bought the cheapest option, so I had to build my own electronics for it, which worked out well. I connected the output to my EFIS/EIS6000, and set alarm limits. I then put just enough fuel in the tank to cover the sensor with the tail down. When I lifted the tail, the alarm would show up on the EFIS, and when I set it down, the alarm would go away after a few seconds. I did this several times, and am satisfied it's working well.

Oh, and around a week after I sent Belite the picture of the swollen silicone O-ring, they sent out a mass email to inform everyone of the issue, and will send them Buna-N O-rings free of charge.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Previous

Return to General Discussion