Install pictures of a Turbo radiator in a Model A?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Install pictures of a Turbo radiator in a Model A?

Postby OneTallShort » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Does anyone have the turbo radiator installed in a model A cowling? Where did you put everything? Did you vent the top of the cowling?

Thanks,

Gregg Short
gregg - a-t - gshort dot com
(330)465-7531
Burbank, OH
Sonex-715...trying to get restarted building..
OneTallShort

Re: Install pictures of a Turbo radiator in a Model A?

Postby Brett » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 am

Not a factory install but you can look at mine if interested.

http://sonexboomer.blogspot.com/2018/04 ... w.html?m=1

I have flown about 70 hours now on this setup and it works great... The cheap fan is still working fine,
whilst a little underpowered, it's still satisfactory for lowering the turbo temp post shutdown. I realise the fill point is not ideal but I just run the pump when filling or checking the coolant level. Works fine.
Last edited by Brett on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Re: Install pictures of a Turbo radiator in a Model A?

Postby NWade » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding to this! Flickr recently changed their policies and forced me to remove/relocate all of my Sonex photos. :-/

I've got the Turbo Cooler system put into an Album on OneDrive now, you can view it here:
https://1drv.ms/a/s!ApMKXiyfUEPR4Tsh20xHh9pYZKtx

• The key thing is to ensure the reservoir is at the absolute highest point, or you'll get air trapped in the system.
  • Since I have the air-oil separator on the left side of the firewall and I didn't want any leaking coolant to spray onto my RDAC, I resolved to place most of the system low down on the center or right (passenger) side of the firewall.
  • An important thing with this layout is to ensure that lines stay at least 1-2" from really hot things, like exhaust pipes.
  • The radiator position I settled on is not ideal, but I figure that its main job is to move fluid and assist with heat transfer *after* shutdown; therefore the fact that its not in the main airflow path inside the cowling is OK - especially with the fan to force air through it.
  • My custom radiator mounting brackets put the radiator at about a 60-degree angle to the firewall, to ensure there is room for air circulation (via the fan).
  • Note: I have yet to make first flight; so I cannot say what kind of performance this solution has yet!

Enjoy,

--Noel
NWade

Return to General Discussion