Building a Sonex! Started a YouTube channel to document.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Building a Sonex! Started a YouTube channel to document.

Postby Onex107 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm

onex28 wrote:Way to go Morrie, I just flew the first flight in my Onex at 81. To others regardlesss of age, if you dream it build it.

David
Onex 28
Steam gauges
GRT EIS
V10
Sandia 165
LRI

Don''t forget to join the UFO's. United Flying Octogenarians.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby EdW » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 am

Uh! I thought that our age UFO stood for Ugly Fat and Old!
I guess I'm just a kid at 77.

Ed

Aerovee Onex taildragger
Electronics TBD
EdW

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:45 am

Darick wrote:Excellent videos Tyler. Wish I knew how to attach videos from my channel.

Thanks, Darick! Here is the latest! Episode #3.

Tyler

Postby SP1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:55 am

Another real good YouTube channel of a Sonex builder is here by DANIEL McElroy
https://youtu.be/wYQZOpEL3Jk
Last edited by SP1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SP1

Postby Tyler » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:54 am

The latest video above.

Would love to get your feedback!
Tyler

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:13 am

Merry Christmas Everyone! Here is episode #5!

Tyler

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Nice work on the videos Tyler! I just finished episode #4 where you discuss kit options (mainly the Waiex vs. Sonex discussion). I’m glad you’ve chosen to simply go with your heart and build the one you want!

Looking forward to many more videos in the future!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby n307tw » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:37 am

Hey Tyler!

Welcome to the forum man. I have enjoyed your videos thus far and you really do a great job with your production. I subscribed! The foundation could use a guy with your talent to edit up some existing footage and make a sick video that could really appeal to those thinking about building a Sonex aircraft. Looking forward to all your future content, your build progression, and eventual flying videos when completed. Blue skies sir!

Regards,
Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby John Monnett » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Tyler,
I really enjoyed watching your lecture on tails. The one very important piece you missed is that the Waiex,(and most of my designs featuring an alternate to conventional tails) has a "Y" tail. The reason Waiex flies like a Sonex is because it has a rudder to complement the V tail components. So, everything you discussed about V tails is correct, however does not apply to the Waiex and Y tails directly. That might have changed your discussion perspective significantly. Splitting hairs, I know, but nevertheless an important point to Pete and me as designers to have others understand. Sonex and Waiex exist for fun and the dilemma of tail choice proves it. ;)
Keep the good work doing your entertaining videos!
John Monnett

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:36 pm

John Monnett wrote:Tyler,
I really enjoyed watching your lecture on tails. The one very important piece you missed is that the Waiex,(and most of my designs featuring an alternate to conventional tails) has a "Y" tail. The reason Waiex flies like a Sonex is because it has a rudder to complement the V tail components. So, everything you discussed about V tails is correct, however does not apply to the Waiex and Y tails directly. That might have changed your discussion perspective significantly. Splitting hairs, I know, but nevertheless an important point to Pete and me as designers to have others understand. Sonex and Waiex exist for fun and the dilemma of tail choice proves it. ;)
Keep the good work doing your entertaining videos!

Not to worry John! I believe in the video comments and on the Reddit threads, I clarified that the Waiex is, in fact, a Y-tail. The video was a response to a comment that was asking about V-tails specifically and I thought it would be fun to explore that a bit. I will in my next video be sure to clarify that the Waiex is a Y-tail in crystal clear terms. Thank you so much for the comment! Love your designs and all you've done for the field of aviation.

I'm planning on documenting the entire build so if you ever have any feedback/ideas/corrections, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'm hoping my videos help promote Sonex and the incredible aircraft you produce.

Tyler
Tyler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion