Filler box sides fitment

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Filler box sides fitment

Postby dbdevkc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:25 pm

I am assembling the filler box to the upper firewall former on plans sheet F15. I am finding that the box sides piece that gets bent does not fit up to the bottom flange on the cutout in the former. The flanges on the box sides hit the flutes on the flange at the top of the firewall former. See photo - if I were to trim off that marked area of the filler box sides flange, then it would be able slide up the rest of the way and the bottom of this piece would then fit up against the flange at the bottom of the cutout in the upper firewall former.

Anyone else have this issue?

Kevin
fillerBoxSides.JPG
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Re: Filler box sides fitment

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm

The big issue I had was the box was too small and the tank could not go forward all the way. See the last post, page 50:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=490

There is a picture of my fuel filler box here and it looks like I did not cut that part out.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=220
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dbdevkc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 pm

I looked a little further and saw this note:

"Fuel filler box bottom clecoed on. I have 13 hours into this stupid thing. On my next Waiex I will make my own parts to the same design as the stock tunnel but 1/4" deeper. "

That is a good idea. I'm going to do some mocking up and see If I'm going to have the same issue.
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:12 pm

I am having a flashback now. I think I moved some of the flutes as they came poorly located. Just get a flute dragging tool and you will be fine. Or, if you don't want to invest, squash the inconvenient flutes flat and put them where you want them. The stainless is both strong and ductile and I wasn't concerned about cold working the flange twice.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dbdevkc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Ah, yes that would be very helpful for this and some of the flutes on the turtle deck formers also to get those aligned with the skin holes. I had never heard of a flute dragging tool - where can I find that?
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby DCASonex » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:45 pm

My fuel filler section of the plastic tank was resting on the small edge surface of the filler box. Did not like that, made new slightly deeper filler box and incorporated an overflow or spill catch trough with drain. Also added 1/8" plastic shims on top of large angle that runs across firewall and supports forward end of the tank. Seems no two plastic tanks are exactly the same.

David A. Sonex (A) - TD
DCASonex

Return to General Discussion