Do they make Soutchco studs that are rotated 90°?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Do they make Soutchco studs that are rotated 90°?

Postby Spaceman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 pm

I just installed the Southco fanstener for my fuel filler door, and I aligned the receptacle left-to-right because the front edge of the windshield blocked it from aligning front-to-back. I forgot that now with the receptacle sideways the wing head stud is perpendicular to the airstream with the door latched...

Do they make studs that are oriented 90° off when closed? I haven't been able to find any. If not I guess I'll have to drill out the receptacle and file a little notch in the front edge of the windshield so I can oriented it the correct way!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Re: Do they make Soutchco studs that are rotated 90°?

Postby peter anson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 am

I think you have discovered a peculiar B model problem because with the sideways opening fuel doors on the A models the wing nut lines up nicely. I'm pretty sure the answer is NO. If you always carry a fuel tester with a screwdriver tip you can just use a Phillips or slotted head fastener.

Peter
peter anson

Postby T41pilot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am

Spaceman wrote:I just installed the Southco fanstener for my fuel filler door, and I aligned the receptacle left-to-right because the front edge of the windshield blocked it from aligning front-to-back. I forgot that now with the receptacle sideways the wing head stud is perpendicular to the airstream with the door latched...

Do they make studs that are oriented 90° off when closed? I haven't been able to find any. If not I guess I'll have to drill out the receptacle and file a little notch in the front edge of the windshield so I can oriented it the correct way!

I had the same issue. Until now, it didn't occur to me about the alignment of the wing nut with the airstream. I guess I'll be changing out the wingnut for something else myself. part# 82-11-100-16 looks like it might work.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Spaceman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:03 pm

T41pilot wrote:
Spaceman wrote:I just installed the Southco fanstener for my fuel filler door, and I aligned the receptacle left-to-right because the front edge of the windshield blocked it from aligning front-to-back. I forgot that now with the receptacle sideways the wing head stud is perpendicular to the airstream with the door latched...

I had the same issue. Until now, it didn't occur to me about the alignment of the wing nut with the airstream. I guess I'll be changing out the wingnut for something else myself. part# 82-11-100-16 looks like it might work.

That would work but then you'd need a screwdriver to open it. I think they have some studs that you use a little key to turn; I could use one of those and then just keep the key on a key ring with my airplane key... I plan to install a keyed master switch so that would have the extra safety benefit of ensuring the master switch is off during fueling since I'd have to take the keys with me to go open the fuel door.
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby woodmw » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:24 pm

The oil access door on my Mooney had the slotted head fastener. A penny works great.
woodmw

Return to General Discussion