Parking Brake for AeroConversions Hydraulic Brakes

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Parking Brake for AeroConversions Hydraulic Brakes

Postby WesRagle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:49 pm

HI Guys,

I am installing the AeroConversions Hydraulic Brakes that came with my kit. I really liked the simple method, used on my old Sonex, of hooking the brake handle in the "no flap" notch of the flap angle for a parking brake (mechanical brakes). The Onex plans call out a similar setup as an option for the hydraulic brakes.

Question: Has anyone implemented the "parking brake bracket" option on an AeroConversions hydraulic brake installation? If so, did it work well?

Thanks for Your Time,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: Parking Brake for AeroConversions Hydraulic Brakes

Postby mike.smith » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I did it on my Sonex:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 9552&row=5
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 9854&row=4

You'll see I had to make a "bend" in the end of the handle to make it work. I made the bottom hole an exact fit for the bolt. For the top bolt I elongated the hole in the handle slightly to give some adjustment fore and aft (I didn't at first, and found it impossible to get the hole in the exact location to allow the brake-in-flap-slot feature to align properly). Once I got it where it worked with the flap notch I tightened down the nut with lots of ft-lbs to hold it in place.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WesRagle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Great Info.

One more question.

Has it been hard to keep the parking brake adjusted? Or, once you got it right it stayed right?

Thanks Again,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby mike.smith » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 pm

4 years and I haven't made an adjustment. I really tightened down the nut :-) The elongation that I noted is like less than 1/8" on either side of the hole center. It's not much (since I had the hole "close" to the right location), but was just enough to give me the play I needed. I made a mockup of the handle with cardboard first, and then out of something like .032 aluminum just to see if I got the holes and the angles right. Then I transferred the results to the final metal.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WesRagle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi Mike,

Awesome. I am going to try to fabricate the wheel pant to gear leg fairings next and then I can put the plane on its gear and hook up the brakes. Once I get everything hooked up I'll work on the handle. BTW, on the Onex the parking brake bracket is separate from the flap "bracket ?" so I hope I can get it set up with minor adjustments to the bracket location rather than messing around with the handle.

We'll see,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Getting Ready for AeroConversions Hydraulic Brakes

Postby WesRagle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 pm

HI Guys,

I'm trying to get the Onex on it's gear, so I can hook up the brakes, so I can fabricate the parking brake bracket, so I can sit in the plane, so I can see where the trim handle needs to be, so I can ...

Before putting it on the gear I want to complete all of the gear leg work I can.

In my quest for speed/efficiency I couldn't resist installing Sonex style gear leg fairings. looks like it's going work OK.

The last thing I need to do before mounting the gear is fabricate the gear leg intersection fairings. Fiberglass hasn't been a good friend. I have looked at Jeff's site ref. http://www.sonex604.com/. I have the packaging tape, modeling clay, wax, and epoxy and will give it a shot tomorrow. If anyone has any advice or reference material I should read before giving this a try, please speak up.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby builderflyer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am

Hi Wes,

I used the same RV pressure recovery nose wheel pants on the main gear of my Sonex. The cuff to join the gear leg fairing was formed with clay........same as you are planning to do. But I also had to move the front/back joint backwards to align with the axle to aid in the installation and removal of the pant. How are you able to install and remove the pant without doing the same?

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby WesRagle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 am

builderflyer wrote:Hi Wes,

But I also had to move the front/back joint backwards to align with the axle to aid in the installation and removal of the pant. How are you able to install and remove the pant without doing the same?

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Hi Art,

I had an awful time fitting that pant to the Sonex. I totally destroyed one pant (still have the remains). One of the Sonex pants came off in three pieces :-) Fitting to the Onex was a piece of cake compared to the Sonex. A single slit in the rear half of the pant is all that was needed.

Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to run myself out of excuses for not mounting the gear on the plane so I can bleed the brakes and proceed with fabrication of the the parking brake bracket.

Every thing takes me longer than is should. Oh well.

I got the rough intersection fairing for the wheel pant to gear leg. Polished the gear leg fairing. BTW, I sure hope the gear leg fairing doesn't crumple on the first landing. That would make me sad.

I have a some questions:

1) Is the orientation of the insert (shown below) correct?
2) Does anyone have any pics of how the brake line enters the cockpit from the gear leg?
3) Are these things worth getting? (ref. https://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman/326/12704 ... gLVwfD_BwE)?
4) Any advice on equipment and technique for brake bleeding?
5) The 90 Deg. fitting on one of the "Brake Bodies" starts to tighten in exactly the worst place. How much torque can the fittings take?

I don't know how I made it this far without ever bleeding brakes, but I did. So, any advice appreciated.

Is this the correct orientation for the fitting insert?

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi Wes,
Been enjoying your posts and pics of your progress. looks like a nice quality build!
for the brake bleeding , head down to your local auto parts store. buy some self bleeding valves (or order them online as you posted. make sure to get the right thread.) with a check ball in them. very easy to do alone, put a tube and clean cup to catch the excess. pump handle or toe breaks, whichever, to get the air out. make sure resivour is full when done. watch not to get brake fluid on anything. hard to remove and paint later. and will attract dust like crazy.
looks great! keep building!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Next

Return to General Discussion