This and that (torque wrench and rattle can).

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: This and that (torque wrench and rattle can).

Postby WesRagle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. I have read all the posts and watched the videos.

I believe my best torque wrench is just like the one Charlie calibrated in his video. It's a Craftsman. Since I don't have a spring scale or a special socket to reach down in the handle I think I'll just do a "single point cal" and keep going. I'll use Charlie's method and set up the wrench to click at AN4 torque (+ run on), torque the bolts and keep going. I was hoping someone would pop up and say they knew of a compact torque wrench that was accurate and stayed that way. I suppose there is no such wrench.

As for paint, I intend to test Rust-Oleum and Duplicolor.

Questions:
Art, did you mean Duplicolor (instead of Duplicator)?
Mike, is the fading of the cowl surface oxidation or true fading? That is to say: Can it be buffed out? Also, if you wait the full 72 hours did you scuff the finish before the next coat?

Since I'm not a paint and body guy, I need a step by step, detailed process to achieve the best possible results.

I think I'll start a new thread "Rattle Can Painting of Fiberglass Parts" and hope you guys help me fill in a process that will lead to a good rattle can paint job.

Thanks for Your Time,

Wes
Last edited by WesRagle on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby radfordc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:55 am

Bob Mika has done a beautiful job of painting his cowl. I know he ordered some special rattle can paint so that he could get the real "Ford Blue" color. I also know it involved lots of rubbing compound and elbow grease. You can shave in the reflection, though.
radfordc

Postby WesRagle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:02 pm

radfordc wrote:Bob Mika has done a beautiful job of painting his cowl. I know he ordered some special rattle can paint so that he could get the real "Ford Blue" color. I also know it involved lots of rubbing compound and elbow grease. You can shave in the reflection, though.

Maybe Bob can chime in and give us some pointers.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby builderflyer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:19 am

WesRagle wrote:Hi Guys,

Questions:
Art, did you mean Duplicolor (instead of Duplicator)?

Wes

"Dupli-Color" is the actual name on the can. You'll really appreciate the adjustable nozzles on these cans for a horizontal or vertical fan spray pattern as compared to the other ones that only give you a "round" spray pattern. Around here (California), I've only found this paint at the NAPA auto stores. I'm currently repainting all of my fiberglass parts with the Dupli-Color "cherry red" and my airpark neighbors are already throwing complements before the job is even finished.

Art
builderflyer

Postby planeolbob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:38 am

Hi guys, Charlie needs his eyes examined. My cowling is at most “acceptable“. Biggest problem is that are used engine block enamel to get the old Ford blue color that has been around since the 30s. This paint takes a few days to cure. As it has ceramic particles in it you have to use a lot of rubbing compound to achieve a smooth surface. As it ages it will crack and “craze” somewhat making you get out the compound again. Needless to say, its a lot of work. If I had to do it today I would have a paint shop match the color and use a more flexible paint. Well, I have to go now and apply another coat of wax.

Bob (wax on,wax off) Mika
planeolbob

Previous

Return to General Discussion