SubSonex at Reno?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

SubSonex at Reno?

Postby mike.smith » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:07 pm

I just read in the August Sport Aviation magazine that the SubSonex may be coming to Reno. There was a press release in June, but I totally missed that. Just one more reason to form a SubSonex aircraft club with 4 or 6 people. Now you can race at Reno!
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/pr_061418/
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

SubSonex at Reno?

Postby JimP » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 pm

In the last few seconds of the video on that page the Subsonex is in the foreground. It looks hilariously tiny relative to the single engine radial planes in the background. Sort of like when you see a B-17 with a flying scale model B-17 next to it.

Maybe it’s just my sense of humor. I would still love to have one. It can be funny and awesome at the same time!
JimP

Re: SubSonex at Reno?

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 pm

With the Unlimited Gold field dwindling NCAR/RARA is looking for other ways to keep crowds, that includes making new racing classes. The new class would be a microjet class, as the Subsonex isn't even remotely close to jet class, or even sport class speeds. It would actually be one of the slower classes on a short track which would be kind of fun.

So, to actually see the Subsonex racing we would need a group of Subsonex and maybe Bede jet owners who want to race their planes.

I think NCAR and RARA is on the right track here and wish them luck in continuing to build air racing. If you have never been to the races you are missing a great time. If my Sonex went fast enough to qualify for sport class I would be out there racing next year!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Return to General Discussion