Elevator install time?

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Elevator install time?

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 am

I’m building a Sonex legacy plans biuilt. I started with the vertical and horizontal stabilizer rudder and elevators the end of February. I’ve just completed all except final riveting of elevator horn assembly. My question is should this be final riveted and completely assembled with hinge pins at this time? Thank you for any suggestions. Billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Re: Elevator install time?

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:41 pm

also i just realized i off set horn to wrong side on the elevator bracket.. but i think its ok if i attach control tube to other side what are your thoughts?
[url][URL=http://s639.photobucket.com/user/billykerchner/media/IMG_4892_zpsjplnnlej.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby NWade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm

As a general rule of thumb I think its good to test-fit the control surfaces as you complete them - to ensure your hinges line up well and don't bind. But don't install any of the cotter pins or do any other "final assembly". You will likely need to remove the control surfaces to move the project around in tight spaces, or to gain access to certain areas during later construction, or just to keep the control surfaces stored separately and avoid getting "hangar rash" over the course of your entire build.

Good luck!

--Noel
NWade

Postby Corby202 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Thats nice looking welding. Wouldn't have thought it would matter much the horn being offset a little, you might have to move the pushrod guides a fraction.
I found it easier to store the tailplane with the elevator attached but you will need to to remove those hinge pins every so often to make things easier to work on.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm

The plans call it for an off set to the left so when the control rod is attached it is centered. I’m hoping because mine is off set to the othe side I can attach control rod to the the other side of horn.
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby daleandee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Subject: Elevator install time?

Rofomoto wrote:I’m building a Sonex legacy plans biuilt.

Hi Billy,

Just wanted to say that my hat is off to scratch builders. I built from a kit although a few parts had to be remade from scratch. 8~)

Before the photo was blocked I did get to see your welding and it appeared quite impressive.

Keep up the great work!

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
173.4 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 am

daleandee wrote:Subject: Elevator install time?

Rofomoto wrote:I’m building a Sonex legacy plans biuilt.

Hi Billy,

Just wanted to say that my hat is off to scratch builders. I built from a kit although a few parts had to be remade from scratch. 8~)

Before the photo was blocked I did get to see your welding and it appeared quite impressive.

Keep up the great work!

Dale

Not sure why photo was takin down but thanx Dale
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Return to Sonex Plans