Sonex turning radius

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Sonex turning radius

Postby lstinthot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm

I am entertaining the toe brakes right now. I am looking at what the turning radius is for the Sonex. Has anyone measured the turning radius? Our airport does not have a full length taxi along with a handful of others around here. How often does someone have to get out to pick up their plane to turn it around? Looking through the past forums it just references the turning radius as "fairly tight". What is the most narrow airport people are able to turn around in?

MIke
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Re: Sonex turning radius

Postby EdW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 pm

With toe brakes, you should be able to make an (almost) locked wheel turn, which should give you plenty of room on a normal runway. Not much more than wingspan-width.

Ed
EdW

Postby kmacht » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Never had a problem with the turning radius with regular brakes but if you are installing toe brakes for a tighter radius you will need a full swivel tail wheel as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flyboyacce ... guide/amp/

Keith
kmacht

Postby EdW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Yeah, hadn't considered that. I was thinking a castering nose wheel.

Ed
EdW

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 pm

With no toe brakes but with Tricycle gear I can easily do a 180 on a 40 foot wide runway.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby daleandee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 pm

lstinthot wrote:Has anyone measured the turning radius? ... What is the most narrow airport people are able to turn around in?

Hi Mike,

I replied earlier but it hasn't shown up yet. For a tail dragger the answer is 50 feet. You can see it here at the very beginning of this video where I do a 180º turn on a 60 foot wide runway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g

Again, you can see Tony Spicer display the same turning radius on his turf runway before take off (at the 23:00 mark):

https://youtu.be/oP2P5XduWmQ?t=1380

Hope this helps ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
171.9 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
daleandee

Sonex turning radius

Postby caveman370 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 am

Hi,
Myself ( Mike) and John Gillis have the Flyboy accessory’ swivel tail wheel. It’s awesome with toe brakes. Pivot on either main if you need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Postby peter anson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 am

kmacht wrote:Never had a problem with the turning radius with regular brakes but if you are installing toe brakes for a tighter radius you will need a full swivel tail wheel as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flyboyacce ... guide/amp/

Keith

Well, strictly speaking, Keith is right of course, but I have independent brakes and a non-swivel tail wheel and my Sonex has enough grunt to drag the tail wheel around a tight circle, even on sealed surfaces. It's not great for the tyre of course, and not as controllable as a full swivel tail wheel. Have to admit I only do it occasionally and normally only on unsealed surfaces.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Gordon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 am

Full Swivel Tail wheel

I am also using the full swivel tailwheel from Flyboys (the same type I used on my RV-7). This is a quality product and Blake and Vince Frazier are great to work with. I am also using a 6" tailwheel and 5:00x5 tires (same as the RV's) along with Hegar hydraulic heel brakes with the Sonex style hydraulic brake cylinders.

I would sooner have toe brakes but that requires welding up something and getting the geometry just right. The Hegar heel brakes (Aircraft Spruce) simply bolt to the floor ( I riveted up some special brackets for them) so the installation was quite simple and easy.

I learned to fly in the 60's with heel brakes so I don't find them to be a particular "hardship".

Note.........the tail DOES sit a bit higher (2 1/2") so the angle of attack is less in a 3 point attitude.

Gordon........Onex........Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby lstinthot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm

I just received an email from Flyboys about their full swivel tail wheel. It looks appealing. They did mention the higher stance for the 6" version and recommend going with the bigger front wheels if ordering the 6" wheel. What would be the down side to having more visibility over the front with the higher tail? Possible nose over easier?

Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Next

Return to Sonex