The Return of the D-Motor!

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

The Return of the D-Motor!

Postby Flynic3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 pm

I am starting to look more and more at the D-motor LF26 and LF39 for a Sonex build. I feel these engines were given a bad wrap due to a bad apple distributor, and not given a Chance! If you are comparing this engine as a Jabiru 2200 alternative, it appears to be an excellent option. With Fisher Flying Products now distributing this engine, I feel it will finally start to gain market share in North America. There are over 40 aircraft flying in Europe using the LF26... some with over 500 hours of trouble free service since 2013! I think it is about time to take another look at this engine alternative. I think the LF26 engine would be a great alternative to the Jabiru 2200 and Rotax 912UL engines. That being said, the D-motor LF26 offers liquid cooling and modern FADEC ECU control. All with similar wet weight to the Jabiru and lighter than the Rotax. These engines kits also include everything you will need, even the exhaust. The only thing the builder needs to purchase is the Radiator with hoses and Jabiru Mount. This will certainly save you some change in accessories...

If you look at the price point of this engine and compare it with the other engines on the market... I feel you get a lot of bang for your buck with the LF26. When comparing apple to apples it may be the Best Buy out of the Jabiru and Rotax 912UL class of engines. I think the new six cylinder D-motor LF39 will provide power that is on par with the Rotax 912ULS and Jabiru 3300. With the fair price point of this engine... I think the D-motor LF39 will provide an excellent alternative to these engines as well! I think with liquid cooling and wet weight of the LF39 being similar to the Rotax912ULS it will turn the Sonex or Waiex into a RocketShip! I am happy to see more engine alternatives and would love to see builders have cheaper engine options for their aircraft! I love the Spirit of Milan MW fly driven Sonex and can’t wait to see a D-motor Sonex!

https://fisherflying.com/engines/

http://www.d-motor.eu/nl/d-motorupdate-161.htm

http://www.d-motor.eu/nl/installations-5.htm

Best Regards,

Nicholas Dawson
Flynic3

Re: The Return of the D-Motor!

Postby inventor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 am

The D motor looks good. Do you have any idea of the price and lead times for this engine?
Onex 150
inventor

Postby Flynic3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Good Evening,

I just responded to your private message, but figured I would post the response here as well.
From what I understand Fisher Flying Products will be authorized to start taking orders at OshKosh.
The price of the D-motor depends on the Euro however currently the price of the LF26 4 cylinder is under $16,000 for a very complete engine package including exhaust. The six cylinder LF39 will be in the $23k price range but again for a very complete package. I feel Fisher has placed a very competitive price on these engines...

I hope this helps answer your question and if you have any others please feel free to ask!

Best Regards,

Nicholas Dawson
Flynic3

Postby jaywa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 am

The latest news report published on their site ( Oct 2017 ) is somewhat less optimistic on timing for serial production due to manufacturing problems and company reorganisation issues - clearly there must be a more positive report somewhere ?
jaywa

Postby Flynic3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Good Afternoon Jaywa,

I won’t go into all the details but will say that the issues they were having have now been resolved. More positive news is coming, I can assure you that much! I have been interested in the D-motor for quite some time, and even through numerous setbacks the Company has survived. I am just excited to see more engine options for the Light sport/Experimental market. I feel that more options are needed and I greatly appreciate Fisher Flying Products for providing those choices! I am excited to see what will be announced at OshKosh!

Best Regards,

Nicholas Dawson
Flynic3

Return to Other Engines