UL Power 350 in a Sonex, 2'nd attempt

Discussions for ULPower engines.

UL Power 350 in a Sonex, 2'nd attempt

Postby runbjo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:48 am

Hello all, and ref my post from last december about installing a UL Power in our Sonex. After abandoning the UL Power project in february this year, we got our selves a jab 3300 engine mount and planned to install a Camit engine on our Sonex. But then we all know how that ended, and we were back at square one.
However, a few moths back, we learned that Kaolin Aviation were getting serious about fabricating a legacy Sonex/UL Power 350 engine mount, and we quickly signed up for one. The mounts are being fabricated as we speak, and we should get one of the first that is being made. We are looking forward to receive the mount, and are hoping for a good fit to the fuselage.
I expect Kaolin Aviation are happy to receive interest from other Sonex builders thinking about doing the same thing that we are.
We will update our website with information and pictures as we get the mount installed.

Blue Skies
Rune Bjørkelid
http://www.flyfabrikken.com
runbjo

Re: UL Power 350 in a Sonex, 2'nd attempt

Postby dgehring » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for helping to blaze the trail. I also am planning a UL Power 350 in a Sonex. I'm looking forward to learning from your install. Thinks like FF Electrical install, etc.
dgehring

Postby killerfish72 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:19 am

I'll be curious how you work out the fuel return line.

Thanks!
killerfish72

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Putting in a fuel return line is no problem. I put one in when I was trying out a fuel pump and Rotec TBI (now replaced with an AeroInjector). I just put an Ops Fitting in the fuel filler neck opposite of the fuel vent fitting. I will again use the fuel return line when I install a Rotax 912 ULS.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby runbjo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 am

dgehring wrote:Thanks for helping to blaze the trail. I also am planning a UL Power 350 in a Sonex. I'm looking forward to learning from your install. Thinks like FF Electrical install, etc.

Hi, and thanks for your interest in my post, and btw, you are welcome:)
Being an early adopter is time consuming at the best. However, at this point in our project, we are happy with our choices.
Electrical and FF is a part of the project that will benefit from good planning in order to avoid costly "havetodoitalloveragain" incidents.
I will update our website as we go along, feel free to check it out.

Kind regards
Rune
www.flyfabrikken.com
runbjo

Postby runbjo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 am

killerfish72 wrote:I'll be curious how you work out the fuel return line.

Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for your interest.
The fuel return may quite easily be routed back to the filler neck. The flat shape of the sides of the filler neck, simplifies the installation of an oups fitting or a bulkhead fitting. Minimum return line size for us is a AN6.
We initially installed the oups fitting on the L/H side of the filler neck. The return line from the UL Power engine is routed back on the R/H side, hence we're getting another fitting in our filler neck.

I'll post pictures of the fuel system on our website once it's done.

Kind regards Rune
www.flyfabrikken.com
runbjo

Return to ULPower