Wing ribs too wide

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Wing ribs too wide

Postby n502pd » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 pm

dbdevkc wrote:I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and what they did about it.

Yeah, I looked at this apparent problem too, but concluded as has Ryan roth. The skin dosent actually touch the aft 1/2 of the spar cap. I modified each rib to fit accordingly to allow the skin fo 'flow' smoothely and did not need any shims on the wings. I have been the very glad reciepient of comments on my wings; they came out nice and smoothe. You have not said if you have a kit or scratch building. I scratch build, and the details on these plans may well be much more detailed that those for the kits, after viewing another YX kit plans. Another thing I remember doing was to slightly bend down the blunt ends of the rib upper and lower flanges so they...the flang ends...would not actually protrude above the level of the 'flowing profile' of the skin. ( I hope that makes sense!!:))
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Re: Wing ribs too wide

Postby dbdevkc » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 am

I modified each rib to fit accordingly to allow the skin fo 'flow' smoothely and did not need any shims on the wings.

Another thing I remember doing was to slightly bend down the blunt ends of the rib upper and lower flanges so they...the flang ends...would not actually protrude above the level of the 'flowing profile' of the skin.

Do you recall how you "modified" each rib? I understand that the aft skin should not flow flush to the aft part of the spar cap, but it should flow flush to the forward part of the spar cap (and then the forward skin should flow to be flush on top of the aft skin. But it does seem that there is a bit of an an extra 'bump' when test fitting scrap strips on a couple of the inboard aft ribs as those strips go from the end of the top rib flange to where they would be rivited to the forward top of the spar cap. I don't think bending down the flange there will do the trick, unless a relief hole and slot are cut just like what everyone seems to do for the front of the forward ribs.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Previous

Return to General Discussion