B-Model Conversion in progress

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Postby Lbrandt » Sun May 28, 2017 8:27 am

I've been working on my conversion since last Sep/Oct. I received the UL Power 260IS motor mount early this spring.
I bought my 260IS from owner Eric Seber. It came with a 55mm prop flange. A 110mm prop flange is an option.
I had to remove 2" from the back of my cowl and also reconfigure the cowl intakes. The intakes were about 2" lower then the bottom of the engine baffles. The bottom was easy with guidance from Carl Eldridge a Onex builder with the 350IS stuffed in it. The top cowl baffle opening is a lot bigger challenge. With the baffles trimmed as far as possible the right side of the engine cylinders being farther forward are still protruding from the top of the cowl. I had to open up the top of my cowl in order to get it to fit correctly, plus I had to extend both top side seams to meet the bottom overlap. I also added a strip of .025 under the windshield skirt so my cowl mounts on top rather than under the skirt. It matches up beautifully because I crimped the filler strip making it match the cowl thickness.
I've completed a foam blister on the right side of the cowl and will fiberglass it this week. I will include a couple photos of my progress. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lbrandt

Re: B-Model Conversion in progress

Postby thomas » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Leroy, Do you have a website for your build or can you post some more pictures? I'm starting my build on Waiex-B 16 and would really appreciate seeing more of your mods to make the UL fit. Thanks! Paul
thomas

Postby Lbrandt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Thomas
Sorry for the long wait on my reply.
I can send you photos much easier to an email address.
I’m at lebrandt@charter.net
I’ve really had a big challenge. I bought my 260 IS from a Sonex builder rather than from UL directly.
You need to order the engine with the 110mm prop flange
Mine came with the 55mm. I had to shorten my cowl, change the intake positions, and add a large bump for the oil cooler.
I’m gaining on it but it’s painful.
Thanks
Leroy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lbrandt

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B