Tilt back Canopy

Discussion for Onex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Tilt back Canopy

Postby x3 skier » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 am

Has anyone adapted the ASA Sonex tiltback Canopy to a Onex? I asked the designer and he didn't know of any. Having that feature is something I really want, in addition to bonding the Canopy vs drilling.

It looks fairly easy to adapt but if it's been done before, I'd be very interested to see what mods were made to the original design.
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Re: Tilt back Canopy

Postby wlarson861 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Since the Onex canopy and frame are the same as the Sonex the attachment should be the same only smaller parts. Set the swing arms first and from that you cam determine the length of the top hinge arm and pivot location. I used the asa plans and video to get a general idea of how to construct it but I made all the parts in the field. For latches I used the plans latch and a mirror image part for the right side latch. I can lock the canopy with padlocks the same as the plans latches.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Re: Tilt back Canopy

Postby EdW » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm

3x did you make the tilt-back? How did it work out?

Ed

Onex 209, td, Aerovee, MGL(?)
EdW

Return to Onex Plans