Prop/Cowl fitting - Revmaster Engine

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Prop/Cowl fitting - Revmaster Engine

Postby mwhatley » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Hey all - working on the first round of the cowling fitting, I noticed there is quite a gap between the prop flange and the edge of the cowl - I'm using a Revmaster eninge, looks to be about 2 to 3 inches longer that what the Aerovee would sit. Any thoughts on this? Besides drag, any issues leaving that gap as is?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPvc30bCZEF3S-v1DemzGlgC2xFYhC6EA20-wYtXaLXtEc0hIoR20lnVEr7Ba4MgA/photo/AF1QipNttWzONx6lU10abXWa9iGH4yj4L-bKgSAVspWm?key=X2VGNGVYSGxuV1F1ZEpGdkJxeWZOSDhuaDBmNkVB
mwhatley

Re: Prop/Cowl fitting - Revmaster Engine

Postby onex28 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:42 am

On my Onex I have a 1.5 inch distance from the cowl to the prop flange. Ready to take it to he airport for final assembly so no flying experience with the space difference. I can't imagine that distance will have any impact. Maybe those flying with a Revmaster can give their opinion.

David
onex28

Postby jeff0196 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 am

A friend of mine with a Grumman Tiger was telling me that some of the designs where there is a large opening behind the spinner allow for a low pressure area right there. That can cause air to escape the high pressure side of the cowl from behind the spinner instead of passing over the engine. The planes liked to run hot. If it would even be an issue on your set up I think it would be relatively easy to somewhat seal the area with baffling making this a non-issue.
Jeffrey W
Waiex 0196
AeroVee Turbo
jeff0196

Postby cliffrunkle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:07 pm

I fly behind the Rev without issues. My installation looked just like your pic. Just build it out, blend it in, and fly...
cliffrunkle

Return to General Discussion