fuel flow

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: fuel flow

Postby lpaaruule » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I may look into this further, especially if I have issues during ground running.

That's great you have 40GPH fuel flow, but I have to admit that I'm skeptical of your results. Joe Norris stated earlier in this thread that he got 22GPH straight out of the tank. You're system somehow has less restriction, or some other variable is contributing to you're fantastic fuel flow, or maybe Joe's Dyno tank is different.

Lowering the outlet had a big effect on my fuel flow. This was verified both from timing tests, and fuel flow meter readings.

All my fittings are -6.

I'll think about it some more, but I'm not convinced that I have an issue yet.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby mike.smith » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 pm

lpaaruule wrote:Hi Mike,

That's great you have 40GPH fuel flow, but I have to admit that I'm skeptical of your results. Joe Norris stated earlier in this thread that he got 22GPH straight out of the tank. You're system somehow has less restriction, or some other variable is contributing to you're fantastic fuel flow, or maybe Joe's Dyno tank is different.

I agree, but I ran the test 3 times and got the pretty consistent average of 88 seconds to drain out a gallon of fuel. And that was starting with 3 gallons in the tank, ending with 2 gallons. I'd be curious to hear the spread of results everyone else has gotten.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby waiking59 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:06 pm

I checked mine recently while calibrating my Princeton fuel probe and got 15gal in 18 minutes. I got the same results twice while draining it before any filters or my red cube which is after my fuel pumps.
waiking59

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 pm

waiking59 wrote:I checked mine recently while calibrating my Princeton fuel probe and got 15gal in 18 minutes. I got the same results twice while draining it before any filters or my red cube which is after my fuel pumps.

That's 50 gal/hr.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby waiking59 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

That's right Mike, straight from the shutoff valve through the firewall fitting and out the fuel line removed from the primary filters.
It's 5/16" high pressure fuel injection fuel line.
See ya at AV
waiking59

Previous

Return to General Discussion