Buying my avonics soon. Oshkosh specials?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Buying my avonics soon. Oshkosh specials?

Postby kevinh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi ya'll,

So I need to buy my avionics sometime in the next few months (yay progress! boo - spending money!). I'm leaning towards a MGL lite + a trig TT22 (for 2020 readiness) or a mode C xpnd plus a ECHO ADSb box. Anyone know if Sonex and EarthX typically have Oshkosh specials for this sort of thing? I'm not planning on going to OSH this year but if there are sales I might try to buy about then...

Kevin
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Re: Buying my avonics soon. Oshkosh specials?

Postby kevinh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Hmm - it seems that Trig TT22 is looking less likely for me, because I can't find any claim that the MGL is an approved GPS position source for that transponder... Bummer...
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
kevinh

Postby racaldwell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Kevin,

That is correct that MGL can not send GPS data to the Trig TT22. I was thinking the same thing until I found this out. I have an older Garmin transponder available for my project that I may use with one of those "clip on the xponder antennae cable" type ADS-B transceiver. I have is in my RV-6 and it works. Too bad it has the Navworx GPS in it though.

I have not yet gotten to the instrument panel as I just building fuselage bulkheads right now. I am wondering does the MGL Explorer fit the Sonex "A" panel size? For not much more $, the 8.5" screen seems worth it to better see all engine & map & PFD info.

I got a quote from MGL on my wishlist and they gave me a bundle discount & free shipping when I do get around to ordering. I didn't even ask for the quote & discount, they just sent it with my general info of the Lite system & V6 and asking the question about getting the GPS data to the TT22. Send them your list and I'm sure you would get bundle pricing discount.

Rick
Xenos 0057 wings & tail completed
RV-6 945 hrs & counting
One Design 250 hrs & sold
racaldwell

Postby kevinh » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Ok - thanks, that is really helpful.

From my drawing in sim it seems that the 8.5" would only fit if you squint and change how the panel brackets fit (which doesn't seem too hard). But since by day I'm a droneish software person I'm toying with the idea of eventually coming out with an opensource EFIS project. Based on that I'll probably use the 7" MGL EFIS at first and then use that as a test platform to evaluate my little project.
kevinh

Postby rhw5548 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 pm

I bought my MGL stuff last year at Oshkosh. Go to the Aircraft Spruce booth. Got a discount on my order and Free Shipping.

Bob Wilson
N243SX
Plans Built SN #0243
MGL EFIS Electronics
Tri-Gear, Dual Controls
Todd's Canopy
Prince p-Tip Prop
Echo UAT (ASDB)
Jab 3300 A
FlyQ EFB
rhw5548

Postby NWade » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 pm

kevinh wrote:Based on that I'll probably use the 7" MGL EFIS at first and then use that as a test platform to evaluate my little project.

FYI, I have just mounted the MGL 7" Discovery Lite in my panel, and it fits but without much room to spare; an 8.5" model will not fit at all due to the way the lower cross-brace runs across behind the panel in an "A" model Sonex.

https://flic.kr/p/Wgautp

BTW I went with the Trig because its possible to mount it remotely and easily control it from the MGL EFIS. Its true that I'll need a separate GPS for full ADS-B out when 2020 rolls around; but in the meantime I get to save panel space and have a nice Mode-S transponder with an easy upgrade path to ADS-B in a few years.

Enjoy,

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Return to General Discussion