New Owner Insurance

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

New Owner Insurance

Postby jp352 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Some of you know that I've been looking to buy a Sonex for a few months. Coming closer to decision time and looking at insurance has me wondering how I am going to make it work.

I don't have a TW endorsement yet, but of course will need to get one. Underwriters are varying, but all requiring 5-10 hrs Sonex time and at least an instructor "check out," or 5 hrs with instructor. How is this possible without the factory transition course and/or loads of time/money? There aren't many people authorized to rent out their Sonex and teach in it.
jp352

Re: New Owner Insurance

Postby wlarson861 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:30 pm

If you are purchasing an already flying aircraft that has flown off the restrictions (completed phase 1) then all you need is a CFI willing to give instruction in your airplane. You can get your tail wheel endorsement and dual as well as required time in type for the insurance folks. Check with the underwriter and see if they will cover the first 5 hours while taking instruction. If you need a tw endorsement, I'm sure you will take more time than 5 hours before you are ready to solo. I would find an instructor first and then talk to the insurance folks.
my 2 cents worth
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

New Owner Insurance

Postby jp352 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:53 pm

wlarson861 wrote:If you are purchasing an already flying aircraft that has flown off the restrictions (completed phase 1) then all you need is a CFI willing to give instruction in your airplane. You can get your tail wheel endorsement and dual as well as required time in type for the insurance folks. Check with the underwriter and see if they will cover the first 5 hours while taking instruction. If you need a tw endorsement, I'm sure you will take more time than 5 hours before you are ready to solo. I would find an instructor first and then talk to the insurance folks.
my 2 cents worth

Thanks. That is another wrinkle: finding an instructor with Sonex time that I can then have pick up the airplane and teach me, all while we both have the time to do so at purchase location or his/her home location. Then, I could fly it back home from there. Mike Farley may be the guy, if he's willing and has the time. Right Mike? ;-P
jp352

Re: New Owner Insurance

Postby kmacht » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Where are you located and where is the plane? That would help find an instructor.

Keith
kmacht

Postby jp352 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 pm

North Florida. I haven't made any agreements to purchase yet, so not sure where my future plane is at the moment.
jp352

Return to General Discussion