Dynon avionics

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Dynon avionics

Postby surfly » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:50 am

Wow!! I thank everyone for their input. As for "punching a hole in the sky" it is a very old way of aviation talk simply meaning to go for a short flight for pleasure. I suppose that I gave my age away by using such outdated lingo. Anyway thanks to all for more fuel for thought...........Sherm
surfly

Postby sonex1678 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am

Just thought I would confirm, being an "older" guy (meaning late 50's), I immediately knew what "punching holes in the sky" meant---heard the expression many times over the years. Also recognize that "going for a flip" means the same thing, and does not necessarily including any "unusual attitudes" that "flip" might imply. I suppose some of these formerly common phrases are fading as there are fewer and fewer really old timers hanging out at the air field....
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Postby tljones42 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am

"All that said, I still fail to see what the extra money for Dynon in buys over MGL or GRT"

The one thing that I've been unable to determine is an MGL solution to the 2020 transponder & GPS requirement. Dynon, while pricey, seems to have a path laid out which tilts me in their direction. Maybe I'm missing something.

Tom Jones
tljones42

Postby lgsievila » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 am

I have a Dynon 7" Skyview and really like it-each to his own. With the Onex panel being so small and not much room for a transponder I also like that my transponder is located behind my seat and I can operate it from my Skyview. I should also mention AOA capabilities. I do have an MGL V 10 radio-Dynon didn't have a radio when I bought mine.

Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby N814W » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm

tljones42 wrote:
The one thing that I've been unable to determine is an MGL solution to the 2020 transponder & GPS requirement. Dynon, while pricey, seems to have a path laid out which tilts me in their direction. Maybe I'm missing something.

Tom Jones

The marketing data cites remote control for the Trig TT22 mode S. Paired with the Trig TN70, one should be ADS-B compliant.
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I have a 7" Skyview, paired with a Dynon transponder, and I love it. It works fantastic, is clean and easy to see, and generally intuitive in operation. I currently use an MGL comm radio, and would have preferred Dynon's comm radio instead (had is been available when I ordered). In short, the Dynon gear works really well. Is it worth paying more for? That's harder, and more personal, to answer. When I priced a Dynon, MGL or GRT system, the cost for what I wanted (EFIS, GPS w/Moving Map, EMS, comm, transponder, AoA, and autopilot ability) came out pretty close for all 3 systems. I'm not sure what it is now, though. I ultimately chose Dynon because they seem to really cater to US pilots and what they wanted, and just had a nice, polished feel to them.

Now that Dynon has their WAAS GPS receiver available ($500 more than the standard GPS), pair that with their transponder and you are ADSB-Out compliant with nothing else to do or buy. Add an ADSB-In receiver for about $900 and you have the whole thing. Those are both on my upgrade list in the next year or two.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Been flying my Waiex with Skyview 7" for almost 6 yrs now and 568 hrs. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Works 100% of the time with no glitches, and the company is first rate to work with. Love the syn vision and in marginal skys where things are hard to see (like low sun), it allows you to position yourself for entry into a pattern with spatial orientation second to none. Its simply and excellent tool that reinforces the view outside.
Addtionally, you get instant information on windspeed direction, velocity, crosswind component, density altitude, etc. All in one compact little unit.
For some its not important. For me its worth every dime.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Skyview
LarryEWaiex121

Postby lgsievila » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks Jeff and Larry. I didn't go into all of the detail that you guys did but I agree with everything you said. The synthetic vision is amazing-when I am landing if I happen to be a little left of centerline my synthetic vision shows that. Just added the AOA pitot tube and that is an added safety factor and as Larry said it works all the time. I am wiring an MGL Extreme for a friend right now and there is some advantage to the RDAC thing but I personally don't like having that unit on the wrong side of the firewall with all those exposed wires and red to negative on CHT/EGT goes against everything I ever learned. Like I said each to his/her own and Blue Skies to all.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby tljones42 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 pm

N814W wrote:
tljones42 wrote:

Tom Jones

The marketing data cites remote control for the Trig TT22 mode S. Paired with the Trig TN70, one should be ADS-B compliant.

The TN70 is around $1800 for the necessary WAAS GPS as opposed to Dynon's $500 GPS. My spreadsheet says this ups the price of the MGL gear pretty substantially.
tljones42

Postby gammaxy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:22 pm

lgsievila wrote:red to negative on CHT/EGT goes against everything I ever learned.

Just through I'd mention that this isn't unique to MGL. Red to negative is the ANSI standard thermocouple coloring scheme.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

PreviousNext

Return to Onex