Horizontal vs Vertical Cowling

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Horizontal vs Vertical Cowling

Postby mwhatley » Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Wanted to get some opinions out there if the horizontal is really that much better, I looked into shipping for the new one from Sonex it's close to $300, plus the price of the new cowling, it comes out to about $750, yikes..... I don't think horizontal provides that much more value, but wanted to hear from others.
mwhatley

Re: Horizontal vs Vertical Cowling

Postby Corby202 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 pm

If I was to build another Sonex I would stick with the vertical split, the positives out weigh the negatives imho.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby garyb » Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Sonex don't offer the vertical split cowl anymore. I had ordered the Jabiru vertical split cowl and they sent me the universal horizontal split. However it fits very easy with no trimming on the lower half.
Sonex #1531 Rotax 912ULS. 250 hours and counting.
garyb

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed May 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi all,
The cowlings each have their own positives/negatives. The verticle split cowl is easier for one person to handle/put on or off. We modified our own cowl for waiex#143 to a horizontal . Was alot of work. Its nice to access to just take off the top piece.To put the bottom piece on is doable with one person , but not easy. The new horizontal split cowl from sonex fits together nicely, and is trimmed in the rear at the factory, so very little final trimming is needed. The biggest thing with the new sonex horizontal cowling , as phil mentioned is the shipping. Around $150 domestic, and $300 international ?
Thats why sonex ships a second canopy with international orders on fuse/full kits.
We like our horizontal cowl . The choice is yours. The 'B' models it is standard. Legacy you have a choice.
Added: thanks gary, understand no more vertical split cowls from sonex avbl.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Wed May 03, 2017 10:35 pm

I modified my vertical to a horizontal split. It was a lot of work! At first I said I wouldn't do it if I had it to do over, but after living with it for 3 years I much prefer the horizontal split. The biggest issue with the horizontal split was getting the engine baffling right. With the vertical split you can easily see into 1/2 of the cowl and make all the adjustments you need, 1/2 at a time. But with the horizontal split you can only see the baffling against the cowl, from the front air intakes, and to push and pull and mark things, you have to do it all through those little openings. And it's really hard to see all of the baffling through those two small inlets.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Thu May 04, 2017 8:31 am

Like Mike, I made my stock vertical split cowl into a horizontal split, but only spliced the top section, bottom section still center-line split so is a three piece cowl, very quick and easy to install and remove. Skybolt fasteners also simplify and speed up the process. Tip of nail file on small key chain type Swiss army knife is all that is needed. I and am sure several others have some detailed info and photos on doing that split if you go that way. Note: My cowl is pulled forward 5/8" with prop spacer to allow more room around Jabiru /CAMit engine, not possible with some new pre-trimmed cowls.
David A. Sonex TD
DCASonex

Return to General Discussion