BasicMed

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: BasicMed

Postby dhogue » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 pm

I am a aircraft renter. I do not own an airplane. ( I am building a Sonex Onex 0173).
I contacted the firm I have been renting Aircraft from and inquired if they would accept BasicMed in leu of a FAA 3rd Class Medical.
Response: They are awaiting a response from their Insurance company - and ask again after May 1.

Anyone else here who are aircraft renters who can rent with BasicNed?
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:33 am

Don,
I haven't rented or flown since 2013, with the exception of one ride with Josh. I am wondering the same thing but have not asked the flight school yet.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby n982sx » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am

dhogue wrote:I have to repeat the course after my BasicMed exam.

Don,

You don't have to take the course again after your doctors appointment. The AOPA site remembers who you are when you login. At the first screen just take the Apply for Basicmed option, not the Retake the Course option.

It will take you to the screen where you fill in all the needed info before it will issue you your certificate.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby builderflyer » Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 pm

It's done! Saw my PCP today. He went down the checklist and checked me for all on the list, even the "anus" which he wondered why that was on the list. Then came home and completed the AOPA online course and scored a 90. Anyone who scores a 100 on the AOPA test has my respect as there are a few questions to scratch one's head over. The best news is Medicare and my supplemental health insurance is going to pay the entire bill at the doc's office. So off to flying with little restriction again, medically speaking...........or maybe not since I'm no longer into night IFR.

Good luck to all the rest of you soon to go down this path.............may your trip be as smooth as mine,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jab3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 pm

I saw my Dr. yesterday also, for a prior scheduled annual physical (before the FAA announced the magical May 1 date). Printed everything out and took the forms in with me. Gave them to the nurse and said Doctor will be in soon to see you. He starts the conversation with me by saying "what is all of this crap you brought in for me to sign?" LOL. I had to explain the whole policy change, the history of the Sport Pilot regulations, flying without an AME issued medical, on a valid drivers license only, then the recent years of safe flying, and the eventual passage of the Pilots Bil of Rights 2. He knew the basics of the different classes of aviation medicals. Asked me what I flew and why I wanted the BasicMed (so I can fly 4 passenger planes again and at night).

He asked me how soon I needed this back? Told him it wasn't a rush and to review it when he has time. His reply was "yeah I had to deal with the FAA to register my drone...and think it is a joke (drone/UAS registry). Dr said let me review this online some more and I'll have it back to you by the end of the week. Fingers crossed...
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby lpaaruule » Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 pm

My doctor just email me that he sent the completed form to me in the mail.

Assuming it doesn't say "denied" when the mail arrives, this was way easier then I expected.

Update: I have the signed form now, so I'm good to go!
Last edited by lpaaruule on Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby GWMotley » Wed May 03, 2017 6:23 pm

I too have completed the BasicMed requirements today without a hitch. I saw a new primary doctor today for the first time and he said he would be happy to sign the form. He asked if I wanted to defer the "anus" exam as he thought was not needed. I told him to go ahead and do it as I did not want the exam to be invalidated at some later time. I also told him that if he found out and notated that "I was a big asshole" I was sure the FAA would then send me an employment application!

None the less guys, it appears the process will work for the limitation expansion under which we can now fly. It's a good day.

Gary
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby fastj22 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 pm

GWMotley wrote:I too have completed the BasicMed requirements today without a hitch. I saw a new primary doctor today for the first time and he said he would be happy to sign the form. He asked if I wanted to defer the "anus" exam as he thought was not needed. I told him to go ahead and do it as I did not want the exam to be invalidated at some later time. I also told him that if he found out and notated that "I was a big asshole" I was sure the FAA would then send me an employment application!

None the less guys, it appears the process will work for the limitation expansion under which we can now fly. It's a good day.

Gary

Gary the anus exam would only confirm everything we know and love about you.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby n982sx » Thu May 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Chalk up another success to BasicMed. My doctor had no problem signing the form.

I knew my annual physical was coming up so I scheduled it for today a couple months ago after the May 1, date was announced. I have been flying my Sonex as a sport pilot for the last several years but I needed either a third class or BasicMed to fly my newest build project. (An RV-14A, which goes to the airport Saturday!)

I was skeptical of BasicMed when I first read about it but I'm a believer today. The 'Anus' exam is a bit of an oddity, but my doctor must not have found my head up there since I passed!
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:26 pm

And another success for BasicMed! Picked up my form today that my doctor signed...however he skipped the box for "anus".

EDIT: just completed the online course and printed my certificate. It was longer than I expected and squeaked by...
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion