Sonex Kit Value?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Sonex Kit Value?

Postby A10snoopy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 am

Our EAA chapter in northern VA recently received Sonex 561 as a donation. It was sold in August 2004 to the chapter member who donated it to us. The kit is a tri gear, dual stick, Jabiru 3300 with the Easy Build kit. The builder inventoried, bent the horizontal stabilizer spar and drilled and riveted the rudder drive horn, then was sent overseas by the USG, and it has been sitting in a warehouse for the past decade. We have a complete inventory of all parts, paperwork, and even have the flat skins still sandwiched in the pallet. We are looking to sell the kit, and wondering what price to post for it. The kit could provide a relatively inexpensive opportunity for someone to build a B model with the Sonex upgrade kit. Thoughts?

Paul
OneX 76
A10snoopy

Re: Sonex Kit Value?

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am

Sounds like it would make an excellent donation on to a local school project.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby radfordc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 pm

A10snoopy wrote:We are looking to sell the kit, and wondering what price to post for it. The kit could provide a relatively inexpensive opportunity for someone to build a B model with the Sonex upgrade kit. Thoughts?

Paul
OneX 76

Kits and planes always seem to sell for less than what you would think they're worth. If you're not in a hurry to sell it start with a price about 80-90% of full retail. You can work down from there over time until the right buyer shows up.
radfordc

Postby rk2436 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm

I was thinking more like 8k,,why would anyone pay 90% of a new kit??? Put and ad on Barnstormers and see what happens.
Bob K
Orig builder kit 1143
Now flying RV-12
Evergreen Park,Il
rk2436

Postby vigilant104 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

radfordc wrote:Kits and planes always seem to sell for less than what you would think they're worth. If you're not in a hurry to sell it start with a price about 80-90% of full retail. You can work down from there over time until the right buyer shows up.

It could be a long wait. The present kits have the matched-hole construction which really speeds up the build--and makes older kits less desirable/valuable. The existence of the B-model might also be something that reduces the value of existing "classic" Sonex kits.
As a WAG, I'd guess the kit as described might sell for about $12K, or that might be a good asking price (unless you don't really care how long you keep it in storage).
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby SP1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:47 pm

I was looking at kits for a long time. Saw a guy in Colorado selling his kit for 13k. Jab 3300 engine mount and taildragger config. Only finished a few of the tail feathers. He was including his tools and a few work benches. He was also willing to transport it himself to you. That's worth a lot. It went before I could convince my wife this was a good idea to do.
SP1

Postby samiam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Remember that in 2004 the kit was much cheaper because it was much less refined. My guess is you'll get someone to give you around 8k for it. I'd post it at 10 and see what happens. Sooner or later you'll get tired of all the tire kickers and sell it for less than you thought.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Return to General Discussion