Getting out of an inverted Sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Getting out of an inverted Sonex

Postby Corby202 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Just getting some ideas about what you guys might carry to break yourselves free from an inverted Sonex??
Thanks
Phil
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Re: Getting out of an inverted Sonex

Postby NWade » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:51 am

Corby202 wrote:Just getting some ideas about what you guys might carry to break yourselves free from an inverted Sonex??
Thanks
Phil

I trained in Diamond aircraft with a plexiglass canopy and was taught to use a tool like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Towallmark-Seatbelt-Cutter-Breaker-Emergency/dp/B002AMAXNA
(Note that I'm not endorsing this brand specifically)

You use the pointy end of the hammer to scribe a circle in the plexi, then hit it with the hammer to break out that section and crawl through the hole.

--Noel
NWade

Postby peter anson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 am

An Australian Sonex builder did flip his aircraft in a forced landing after a wasp had blocked his fuel vent. He had no trouble breaking out of the canopy because it simply shattered when the aircraft became inverted. Not guaranteed that it will break so conveniently of course, but in the unlikely event that you do flip your Sonex, a broken canopy is pretty likely.

Peter
Sonex 894
(and not at all keen to put this theory to the test)
peter anson

Postby sonex892. » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:56 am

Hi Phil
If you flip your sonex I doubt you will needing to break the canopy to get out. I out helped a friend recover his flipped sonex a few years ago. I think the same incident Peter mentioned. The impact alone with terra firma totally disintegrated the canopy. He said he had no problem getting out. Surprisingly the lexan windscreen also broke into a few pieces. I still think carrying something to smash your way out is a good idea, but really doubt it would ever be needed if the plane is inverted. The forward turtledeck formers and tail fin also worked well as crumple zones.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby radfordc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:14 pm

I made a canopy breaker from a heavy Bowie knife that I bought for $8 at Harbor Freight. I cut the blade down to about 3" and strapped it to the seat between the pilot and passenger so it would be in easy reach if ever needed. I tested the knife on a piece of Sonex canopy and it easily broke the plastic.
radfordc

Postby pepperdoug » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:18 pm

I talked with Rod about his recent flip-over landing. He said the canopy broke on impact and it was an easy exit under the wing. He was probably in shock, as you can imagine, but getting out was not an issue. He simply unbuckled his belt, even thought to turn off the fuel valve—not really thinking about the valve being above the tank now—before getting out. I think he said he went back in to gather some things as well. I also wonder if the fuel vent coming out the top book off or kinked to prevent fuel coming out. No answers to those questions as the plane was removed by someone hired from the insurance company. They did total it.

He described the event as an unexpected loss of flying speed just short of the dirt strip and traveling about 15 feet after the main gear impacted the soft ground. That's a pretty fast stop from 50-60MPH...
He mentioned the turtleneck design as acting as a roll bar that protected him. He also credits the shoulder strap with preventing any major injury to his head. After getting checked out by a doc there was no damage that a couple weeks rest won't resolve from the shoulder strap impact. I asked if he happened to check the G Meter, but unfortunately he did not. Might have been interesting...

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/03/s ... 1.html?m=1
pepperdoug

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 am

I figure that the canopy would break in an incident where the plane was flipped on its lid, but I carry a small emergency egress tool because it also has a seatbelt cutter which may be more handy than the glass breaker portion.

On my last condition inspection since I had my baggage sling out I added a bunch of pockets and straps to it, so I also added a velcro strap to hold the tool in place where it is easily seen and accessed.

Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby radfordc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Mike, are you sure you will be able to reach back and retrieve that thing if you're upside down? I don't think I could.
radfordc

Postby tonyr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:57 pm

As I have a circa 2006 canopy

I made one of these to wave at it.. guaranteed to crack instantly

:lol:
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Return to General Discussion