large pilot in a B mod?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

large pilot in a B mod?

Postby CloudbaseEng » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello All,

I always liked the Sonex design but what turned me off was it was too narrow for me and also had a Gross a bit on the low side for me. With the new B mods curious if anyone my size has sat and or flown one with a passenger. I am 6'3" and 225lbs. My dad is roughly the same and curious if there would be any Gross left over for at least half fuel. With myself and my wife Gross would not be an issue.

Best regards,

Marc
CloudbaseEng

Re: large pilot in a B mod?

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm not sure the B model is really going to give you that much more shoulder room. The width where your shoulders are didn't really change much, maybe an inch. They stagger the seating using seat cushions, but I don't really think it is going to make a huge difference either.

As for the weight, the gross is still the same, and they say the empty weights are similar between A and B models. So using the calc for mine at 650 empty (in the middle of the range), 10gal fuel, 2 guys at 225 and 3 lbs in baggage area (just some random stuff you may have in the baggage area), you end up around 1177lbs. and CG around 68.75 (max aft is 70.3)

With 5gal fuel you are around 1147lbs and 69.34.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Fastcapy wrote:I'm not sure the B model is really going to give you that much more shoulder room. The width where your shoulders are didn't really change much, maybe an inch. They stagger the seating using seat cushions, but I don't really think it is going to make a huge difference either.

The first three words of this posting, "I'm not sure..." are accurate. Mike Beck (fastcapy) has never sat in the Waiex-B so would he would have no firsthand knowledge of the increased shoulder room.

There is no way for any individual to tell another individual if they will fit a particular aircraft unless it is blindingly obvious. My brother, at 6'4", is cramped in a Skyhawk but fit in my Sonex. We have had petite people comment on how "tight" the cockpit felt and we have had people we never believed would fit comment on how roomy it felt. Fit is somewhat subjective. Comfort is absolutely subjective. The only way to know if YOU will fit is to try one on. Someone who has never sat in the cockpit can not tell you if you will fit or not.

I've never walked the Appalachian Trail myself but I'm confident you couldn't do it. Sounds silly doesn't it? Yup, it's just like that.

Blue Skies....

Kerry Fores
Technical Support Manager
Sonex Aircraft, LLC
SonexFactoryTech

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Kerry, such a nice attitude you have there belittling Sonex builders/owners/pilots on this group trying to give advice on here. Classy!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby CloudbaseEng » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:03 pm

SonexFactoryTech wrote:
Fastcapy wrote:I'm not sure the B model is really going to give you that much more shoulder room. The width where your shoulders are didn't really change much, maybe an inch. They stagger the seating using seat cushions, but I don't really think it is going to make a huge difference either.

The first three words of this posting, "I'm not sure..." are accurate. Mike Beck (fastcapy) has never sat in the Waiex-B so would he would have no firsthand knowledge of the increased shoulder room.

There is no way for any individual to tell another individual if they will fit a particular aircraft unless it is blindingly obvious. My brother, at 6'4", is cramped in a Skyhawk but fit in my Sonex. We have had petite people comment on how "tight" the cockpit felt and we have had people we never believed would fit comment on how roomy it felt. Fit is somewhat subjective. Comfort is absolutely subjective. The only way to know if YOU will fit is to try one on. Someone who has never sat in the cockpit can not tell you if you will fit or not.

I've never walked the Appalachian Trail myself but I'm confident you couldn't do it. Sounds silly doesn't it? Yup, it's just like that.

Blue Skies....

Kerry Fores
Technical Support Manager
Sonex Aircraft, LLC

Hello Kerry,

Thank you for the post and I agree that Fit and comfort are suggestive but there is merit also in what Fastcapy said. For me shoulder room was my issue in the single Sonex I have sat in as well as when I tried to sit in Pete Bucks Xenos. Love the design, but just not a good fit for me as the A model is configured. I may try and make Sun N Fun to walk around and pick my next project and will definitely give a B model a try.

Marc
CloudbaseEng

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi all,
Now now, the legacy A model we have, we flew from tucson to marana az. ,today, and did some airwork. Yes its cozy w 2 adults, near aft cg, and near gross at 10 gal. Fun u bet. Im sure the B, is a little nicer, room and bigger panel, and electric flaps. We have our own design electric flaps. Thanks john gillis!! Love them.
Oh by the way, the last person that claimed to walk the appliachian trail, i believe , was a missing congressman who was found in south america with his mistress. Just say'in.
Take care all,

WaiexN143NM
Michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby thomas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:28 am

Hello Marc,

I understand your concern. I'm 6'5" and 235 lbs. My son (5'10") and I sat in the factory Waiex B at Oshkosh last year before I decided to purchase the kit. The shoulder width is snug for big guys, but wasn't a deal killer to me. I had enough headroom to hold my head straight up without being jammed against the top or side of the canopy. I'll probably buy an in-ear headset instead of the usual over-the-ear to give me more range of motion without canopy interference. The knee and leg room seemed ok too. As a disclaimer, I fly crowded coach on commercial every week and I drove a Fiat throughout college, so tight fits don't hamper me too much. My opinion might change when my son is full grown...

Since aerobatic capability, wide speed range, low operating cost, low purchase cost, and low build time were all important to me, the B-model was an easy decision, even with my large frame.

Best regards,
Paul
thomas

Return to General Discussion